Dont take her pocky-book

/ Dont take her pocky-book #13  
Yea, even if she isn't charged or convicted of anything, she will still end up being liable for the real criminal's medical bills if he sues her.

That's what car insurance is for. Let him sue. Towanda The Avenger!

/ Dont take her pocky-book #14  
In most states, no you cannot use deadly force to protect property......

It depends on how smart your lawyer is. Several years ago a shop owner in Portland, OR was held up. The thief left with the money in the till, so the shopkeeper chased him and shot him down. The court argument was that he believed the thief would repeat the performance in the future, so he was just protecting other people's lives. Case dismissed.

In this case she was never directly threatened, so is on shakier ground, but I still don't think they will find a jury to convict her. I know if I were on the jury, my attitude would be, "Why is this women even being prosecuted? The guy lived, and got what he deserved."

/ Dont take her pocky-book #15  
That's what car insurance is for. Let him sue. Towanda The Avenger!

I wouldn't bet the farm on her insurance company stepping up to the plate ... nor would I care to roll the dice on the jury's verdict.

/ Dont take her pocky-book #16  
It depends on how smart your lawyer is. Several years ago a shop owner in Portland, OR was held up. The thief left with the money in the till, so the shopkeeper chased him and shot him down. The court argument was that he believed the thief would repeat the performance in the future, so he was just protecting other people's lives. Case dismissed.

In this case she was never directly threatened, so is on shakier ground, but I still don't think they will find a jury to convict her. I know if I were on the jury, my attitude would be, "Why is this women even being prosecuted? The guy lived, and got what he deserved."
The only problem with the logic there, is that you appear to want to rely on the rule of men ... as opposed to the rule of law.

Of course, mebbe there are some jurisdictions in the US where an individual is allowed to be judge, jury, and executioner ... and running someone down with a motor vehicle for the theft of property is legally permissible as the punishment ... dunno ...

And there are potential ramifications for the young lady beyond just criminal and civil liability.

The story mentions she is pregnant ... but doesn't mention whether she has other children. Not real hard to imagine that if she does, Children's Services might give her a look for being prone to violence.

If she is employed she might well end up losing her job ... either as a consequence of absence from work due to criminal/civil proceedings ... or simply due to the fact that her employer might consider her unpredictable and violence-prone.

While the man who attempted to rob her was clearly in the wrong, the young lady did not exactly exercise wisdom or restraint.

What if the guy had been carrying a firearm or a knife when she started chasing him ?

The story might have ended very differently.

/ Dont take her pocky-book

Never thought of that scenario, that is a good court argument right there, and if I was on any jury for someone defending their property, NOT GUILTY. Good reason right there to chase a thief down with deadly force, I'd almost bet that once a someone gets away with taking a purse, house/garage burglary cant be far behind, then what's he going to take next, when will a thief stop stealing.

Anyone here going to be able to stop a thief, 6', 225 lbs without deadly force in their house or garage, what about at their car with a brand $400.00 chainsaw, fresh out of HD, you get ready to go home when this big guy grabs the saw, now he knows using deadly force to stop him is illegal so all anyone can do is wave by and call the cops and they will be right there to arrest the purse snatcher, but don't worry they'll be plenty of so called clear close up pictures of the thief to track him down, but just in case it's one of those very rare incidents of where the purse snatcher gets away, better go back in HD and buy another $400.00 chainsaw, after all it's only plastic............

/ Dont take her pocky-book #18  
This women meant business, but now she is facing assault with deadly weapon charge. A clear case of justice for thieves, evidently we are not allowed to protect our property with deadly force, here there or anywhere. So if anyone catches a thief stealing tools from there garage/car/truck, you have to watch him while you call the police.........

Pregnant woman runs over suspected purse thief in Walmart parking lot | WREG.com

Simple enough....

I think I saw the guy whisper the words "I'm going to go get my gun and kill you!"

Clearly, the woman feared for her life.

/ Dont take her pocky-book #19  
The only problem with the logic there, is that you appear to want to rely on the rule of men ... as opposed to the rule of law.

Of course, mebbe there are some jurisdictions in the US where an individual is allowed to be judge, jury, and executioner ... and running someone down with a motor vehicle for the theft of property is legally permissible as the punishment ... dunno ...

And there are potential ramifications for the young lady beyond just criminal and civil liability.

The story mentions she is pregnant ... but doesn't mention whether she has other children. Not real hard to imagine that if she does, Children's Services might give her a look for being prone to violence.

If she is employed she might well end up losing her job ... either as a consequence of absence from work due to criminal/civil proceedings ... or simply due to the fact that her employer might consider her unpredictable and violence-prone.

While the man who attempted to rob her was clearly in the wrong, the young lady did not exactly exercise wisdom or restraint.

What if the guy had been carrying a firearm or a knife when she started chasing him ?

The story might have ended very differently.

The problem with you is you're using common sense.

I did however see the interview on TV with the woman. Honestly, it's a walmart parking lot, and she seemed about as trashy as the guy she hit. I say we just make Walmart property it's own "land" and let the people do what they want. I've been to walmart a couple of times. Have you ever really observed people in Walmart? It's actually kind of scary for many reasons.

/ Dont take her pocky-book #20  
Good for her!!! and if Judge/Jury needs to decide....well lets leave it at that.