DOT and non comercial traffic

/ DOT and non comercial traffic #201  
nailed for what? As i understand it.. it's a weight issue.. if over a certain weight the tag simply renews calander vs on the owners birthday. Not a huge hassle.. just have to remember to renew it.. etc.

soundguy

Well, I had always thought that GVW was the determinant, i.e. CAPACITY !

It seems that (in MASSACHUSETTS and MAINE at least) the titling law/rule for trailers goes by PHYSICAL weight (empty, unloaded).
Under 3,000 lbs - no title reqd.
3001 and above title reqd.
As it happens this is right on the edge of 2 horse bumper pull trailers and some of those go to 8,000 lbs GVW.
MOST of them have tandem axles, another confusion factor for potential buyers and first time owners (-:

/ DOT and non comercial traffic
yep.. I am tagging my gooseneck right now.. and they go by physical trailer weight to determine a need for a title

soundguy

/ DOT and non comercial traffic #203  
Nice trailer SG. :thumbsup:

Here in IL they go by GVWR to determine if a trailer needs to be titled...or at least they used to. I think the only ones that didn't need to be tagged were the very small utility trailers like they sold at TSC. I know that 3000 GVWR and up need to be titled and tagged.
Trailer tags all renew by July 1. Cars and trucks are one year from the date they are registered. Used to be everything renewed on Jan. 1. Trucks and trailers then changed to July 1. Then they changed trucks to 1 yr from registration date. There was a short time when some vehicles renewed on Sept 1 but that was before I was driving.
We have to show proof of liability insurance for cars and trucks when registering. Also when stopped by the police. The Secretary of State handles registration, tags and drivers licenses in IL. They send random (yeah right) letters to vehicle owners wanting proof of insurance on a certain date. I got one of those letters in regards to my '72 Chevy step van. I sent them the info they wanted along with a letter wanting to know why the singled out my old van which only got driven 100 or so miles a year but they didn't inquire about my two newer trucks and two newer cars. Perhaps they were targeting older vehicles which they presumed the owners to be low income and more likely to not have insurance. I never got a reply.
If you fail to show proof of insurance your tags are revoked. If you're cited for operating without insurance they give you a chance to get insurance. If you don't they'll suspend your DL. The new twist is you can't renew your DL or tags if you owe state taxes or child support.

/ DOT and non comercial traffic #204  
In Indiana all trailers need a title after a certain year. I think its 1984 but do not quote me on that one. Has nothing to do with weight.

Chris

/ DOT and non comercial traffic #205  
In Indiana all trailers need a title after a certain year. I think its 1984 but do not quote me on that one. Has nothing to do with weight.

Chris

Washington's the same way. Any trailer which can be towed on the road needs a title. You'ld have to get down to something like a lawn mower trailer before you didn't need a title.