Dove Hunting ... Opening Day

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day
Boy, you guys are lucky with all those birds you got.
I remember going out to Thermo in So Cal to hunt every year. We went with a group of 5 or six guys ... regulars and sometimes a couple new guys would tag along. We would limit out within 10 minutes out there. Cook em up for breakfast and hunt all over again. We had BBQ's set up and the wives came along. Some hunted and some didn't.

It is way different since acquiring this property in the foothills. The shooting is like 10 times more difficult, and as I get older, I'm a crappy shot anymore.:) But now my wife Loretta and my son Wes (12 yrs old) shoot with me. They passed their hunter safety training program last year and got licenses. We only shot 6 in the morning, but also only hunted for 2 hours before having to return to Rancho. Shooting in the small meadow between all those Oaks is tough, man! They come in amongst the tree tops and it's hard to pick them up right away. Then they're gone in a second. So I'll bet I went through a whole box and only got 5 birds. But what IS great is that I hunt on my own property now. Wes did not join me this year so it was just me and Loretta for a couple hours on the opener. He'll join us next weekend. I'll probably shoot some during the week too.
Here is one picture of this year's birds and the rest from last year.

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #12  
Whoa, those look like pigeons! I appreciate the fun in shooting birds but I am not so sure I would want to eat a little bug like that. Now a nice fat grouse is more my style.

They sure look cleaned well Rob.

Yeah Joe,
They are kinda dinky compared to other upland game birds, but it sure is fun shooting...and challenging. Also not too hard since we sit in the meadow and wait for them to fly by.
That first batch Loretta cooked up like Brad (bigshovel) explains below. Except she soaked the breasts in milk first overnight.
Man, I got to tell you, they are delicious cooked like that! Truly delicious.

Breast em' out, rinse, salt and pepper, wrap each boneless breast with one piece of bacon, insert toothpick to hold together and grill. You will not eat anything better in my opinion.

Brad
I went down to murder meadow last night and shot 9 in about an hour and cleaned them at camp. I'll be having them later for supper cooked the same way with on a hot bed of rice. Loretta suggested we freeze a whole bunch and prepare them like that as o'dourves for our house warming party. She was impressed at how good they were too cooked like that too. Thanks Brad for the great suggestion!
Going right now again ...
Trying out my brand new 20ga Cynergy Sporting this morning.

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #14  
3RRL,
We do them the same way Brad does, except we put a sliver of jalapeno pepper in the breast cavity, then wrap them with a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Give it a try.

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #15  
My son and I have been going out in the pasture nearly every evening and getting our limit since it opened. The neighbors are tearing them up too judging by all the shooting. I have to go get a piece of one of the neighbors tonight about that. I was standing in the middle of my horses last night out in the field and he peppered us with pellets. It was way too far off to do any damage but still he shouldn't even be aiming at my place when my animals or I am out in the fields. I've been shot seriously a couple of times now in combat but due to my own peoples carelessness and just don't care much for stupid people with guns anymore.

I hope everyone else has a safe season out there.

WTA,
I'm sure you do already, but consider yourself a lucky Dad who can hunt with his son like that. I really miss shooting with the kids, especially my 12 year old.
BTW, I took these with my phone camera, so excuse the quality. They are of the dove breasts wrapped in bacon...absolutely delicious this way. I'll try my luck again later this week.

Also ran across this dude while fetching one of the downed feathered friends. He is the first one of the season I've seen, which is pretty early. They are usually crawling all around in October looking for mates ... we see hundreds of them.

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #17  
WTA,
Also ran across this dude while fetching one of the downed feathered friends. He is the first one of the season I've seen, which is pretty early. They are usually crawling all around in October looking for mates ... we see hundreds of them.

You should get some help in the fetching department :)

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #18  
We are not allowed to hunt them up here, we just grow them so you all can enjoy eating them!!

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #19  
WTA,
I'm sure you do already, but consider yourself a lucky Dad who can hunt with his son like that. I really miss shooting with the kids, especially my 12 year old.
BTW, I took these with my phone camera, so excuse the quality. They are of the dove breasts wrapped in bacon...absolutely delicious this way. I'll try my luck again later this week.

I'm glad you like them that way. If you need any goose recipe's give me a shout. For that matter if you need any geese in general give me a shout the four of us are up to 31 so far. Nothing like the smell of 10 gauge in the morning.

Brad

/ Dove Hunting ... Opening Day #20  
Any dove shooters out there?
Anybody else make opening day a yearly ritual like I do?
Where do you hunt and is it with the same group?

Good Evenin Rob,
Nice take if I dont say so myself ! I used to go grouse and woodcock hunting years ago, cant say I was to successful ! ;) In the northeast with all the brush, you kind of hear a quick whoosh and by the time you get the gun up they are gone ! :)

Good shootin ! ;)