Dozer Advice

/ Dozer Advice #21  
George2615 said:
Builder's statement yesterday is correct for NY too. CDL needed here only if combination weight is over 26,001#. It doesn't really matter to me since I have a CDL anyway. But if you are under 26,001# no CDL required in NY.

I had a guy swear on his mother's grave that you needed a CDL to drive an F-550 in New York State one time!! I was highly skeptical of that claim.

I think you might need a med card to drive a F-550. In PA you need a med card for anything over 17,000lbs GVWR, but not a CDL.

/ Dozer Advice #22  
wrangler6831 said:
"but that's the law in PA."

Here in WV if the trailer is capable of hauling 10,000lbs or more you must have a CDL. The DOT boys were quick to point that out to a friend and glad to take his $300.00 for the fine. The trailer was empty, but capable of carrying the weight. It took 2 of them to decide that.

wrangler,
Here is your out in WV straight from the DMV manual:

Who must have a West Virginia Commercial Driver’s License?
If you live in West Virginia and want to drive a commercial motor vehicle on the public roads,
you must have a West Virginia Commercial Driver’s License, unless you are expressly
exempted.
Who is exempt?
• A nonresident who is at least 21 years old and has a valid commercial driver’s license
from another state.
• A nonresident who is at least 21 years old and has a valid commercial learner’s
permit from another state and is accompanied by a holder of a valid commercial
driver’s license.
• Farmers – Bonafide farmers or farm vehicle drivers operating a vehicle otherwise
covered by commercial driver’s license requirements may be exempt those
requirements if the vehicle used is:
1) driven by a farmer, or farm vehicle driver;
2) used only to transport either agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm
supplies to or from a farm;
3) not used in the operation of a common or contract motor carrier;
4) used within 150 miles of a qualifying farm.
Farmers who wish to be exempted from commercial driver’s license requirements
must apply to the Division of Motor Vehicles for a certificate of exemption.

/ Dozer Advice #23  
It used to be that anything over 18001# required a CDL in NY which may have been why the F550 driver needed a CDL. The CDL requirements were changed quite a few years ago and upped to 26001# before needing one. This was mainly done because many large class A motorhomes were over 18K and people were driving them with a regular license and were technically illegal.

/ Dozer Advice #24  
George2615 said:
It used to be that anything over 18001# required a CDL in NY which may have been why the F550 driver needed a CDL. The CDL requirements were changed quite a few years ago and upped to 26001# before needing one. This was mainly done because many large class A motorhomes were over 18K and people were driving them with a regular license and were technically illegal.

I think you're right.

/ Dozer Advice #25  
jsborn said:
wrangler,

If you live in West Virginia and want to drive a commercial motor vehicle on the public roads,
you must have a West Virginia Commercial Driver’s License, unless you are expressly
exempted.
Who is exempt?
• A nonresident who is at least 21 years old and has a valid commercial driver’s license
from another state.
• A nonresident who is at least 21 years old and has a valid commercial learner’s
driver’s license.
• Farmers – Bonafide farmers or farm vehicle drivers operating a vehicle otherwise

I'd be curious to see what constitutes a "commercial motor vehicle" in WV.

/ Dozer Advice #26  
jsborn said:
wrangler,

exempted.
Who is exempt?
from another state.
driver’s license.

Next time I get pulled over I'll let them know they are mistaken, but until then I'll go by this taken from their website. Notice in the first paragragh.

"Why do I need a CDL?

You need a CDL if you are going to drive any class A, B, or C vehicles.

Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B: Any single vehicle with the gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class C: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross weight not in excess of 10,000 pounds, comprising:
Vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, and
Vehicles used in the transportation of hazardous materials which the vehicle is to be placarded under 49 CFR, Part 172, subpart F.
Class C must have either a passenger endorsement, HAZMAT endorsement, or both."

/ Dozer Advice #27  
wrangler6831 said:
Next time I get pulled over I'll let them know they are mistaken, but until then I'll go by this taken from their website. Notice in the first paragragh.

"Why do I need a CDL?

You need a CDL if you are going to drive any class A, B, or C vehicles.

Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B: Any single vehicle with the gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class C: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross weight not in excess of 10,000 pounds, comprising:
Vehicles designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, and
Vehicles used in the transportation of hazardous materials which the vehicle is to be placarded under 49 CFR, Part 172, subpart F.
Class C must have either a passenger endorsement, HAZMAT endorsement, or both."

Or, you may choose to exercise the provisions that he specified -- if you qualify:

Farmers who wish to be exempted from commercial driver’s license requirements must apply to the Division of Motor Vehicles for a certificate of exemption.

He clearly pointed out an avenue for obtaining an exemption -- whether you choose to pursue one or not is your decision, not a requirement of the state....