DPF issue

/ DPF issue #1  

cbright1

Tractor
Kioti CK3510 SE
I have a fairly CK3510 hst, it only has 23 hours on it, about a year old. I was using it and got a "CEL" alarm and the motor shut off. This is a DPF error and upon further research it means the tractor attempted to do a passive regen but was interrupted twice. The owners manual says the DPF needs replacing. I removed the DPF and inspected it. Based on what I am seeing, I doubt it needs replacing. It is hardly soiled. I can't get the tractor to run for more than 15 seconds, so I cannot perform a manual regen, and according to the manual, it cannot be done once the CEL alarm has been activated. I am suspicious that the problem is the differential sensor, but I can't be sure. I spoke with the dealer and he told me I needed to bring the tractor in, but I don't have a trailer, a rental yard is an hour away, and the dealer wants $75 p/hr to come and get it. This would amount to about $500 just to get it to the dealer and back. If there is just a secret dealer reset that needs to be done, it seems like a waste of time and money to just do that. Is anyone aware of the procedure to reset the cel alarm? Any ideas for things to try?

/ DPF issue #2  
I have a fairly CK3510 hst, it only has 23 hours on it, about a year old. I was using it and got a "CEL" alarm and the motor shut off. This is a DPF error and upon further research it means the tractor attempted to do a passive regen but was interrupted twice. The owners manual says the DPF needs replacing. I removed the DPF and inspected it. Based on what I am seeing, I doubt it needs replacing. It is hardly soiled. I can't get the tractor to run for more than 15 seconds, so I cannot perform a manual regen, and according to the manual, it cannot be done once the CEL alarm has been activated. I am suspicious that the problem is the differential sensor, but I can't be sure. I spoke with the dealer and he told me I needed to bring the tractor in, but I don't have a trailer, a rental yard is an hour away, and the dealer wants $75 p/hr to come and get it. This would amount to about $500 just to get it to the dealer and back. If there is just a secret dealer reset that needs to be done, it seems like a waste of time and money to just do that. Is anyone aware of the procedure to reset the cel alarm? Any ideas for things to try?

I can't say for sure as I'm also fairly new to DPF tractor ownership but this sounds exactly like what the my local dealers told me about missing passive regens when I was tractor shopping. Note, a very similar version of this scenario came from Kubota dealer AND a Kioti dealer so this is absolutely NOT a certain manufacturer issue. Essentially, missing 2 required regens puts the tractor in limp mode that can only be solved through a dealer procedure to reprogram the DPF system. It's interesting that your tractor does not stay running and maybe that is why the dealer is requesting that the tractor come to them versus in-field service, but I was under the impression from both dealers that I talked to about this scenario in that the tractor could be reprogrammed in the field. Good luck with the issue. Sorry to hear that you're experiencing it, but let us know what the resolution ends up being.

/ DPF issue
I think the dealer wanted me to bring it in because he felt the DPF needed cleaning.

/ DPF issue #4  
You might try to use a code scanner and reset the cel, this may allow you to start the tractor and do a park regen. Just curios how you decided it was a regen issue without knowing what code it’s throwing to activate the cel.

/ DPF issue #5  
You can do a system rest by disconnecting the battery ground for 10 minutes...
If it starts and runs.. warm it up and do the regeneration....
If it doesn't work, then you will have to get the dealership to reset it.. you can only skip so many regens before the ECM locks up operation.. it is trying to stop the DPF from degrading....
When the regeneration light comes on... Start the process and let it complete..

/ DPF issue #6  
That will not reset the cel.

/ DPF issue #7  
If it is a current code with a hard failure.. No.. it won't clear...
If it is a non current history code.. It will reset...
Won't know until you try.

/ DPF issue
You might try to use a code scanner and reset the cel, this may allow you to start the tractor and do a park regen. Just curios how you decided it was a regen issue without knowing what code it’s throwing to activate the cel.

I got the CEL alarm light on the dash.

/ DPF issue #9  
Not saying it’s not a regen issue, but the cel light is thrown for many other issues, that’s why you need to have a scanner to read the code and go from there. It also depends on the code as to what the tractor may do, some codes degrade the power output, some actually make the engine idle at a higher rpm and some as you found out will shut the engine down.

/ DPF issue #10  
Ugh.... Don't tell me this. After originally wanting a Mahindra 1500/1600 series for just this reason, and seeing similar issues reported w/ the Kubota 3350, I went to the Kobota dealer to discuss the issue when I realized it was actually a Kioti dealer. I liked what I saw, and haven't seen too many mentions of a problem like this w/ Kioti, so I was just about committed to a CK3510SE and just trying to work out the financing for it.

Am I correct in reading the CK3510 manual that you're supposed to bring the RPMs up >1500rpms and the Regen has to be manually initiated with the dash switch when the light comes on on the dash? This does not happen automatically, right? So, if you ignore / don't notice that light, you end up in the OP's situation (not saying the OP ignored it)?

Whatever I buy will see alot of intermittent use, and most likely won't be running all day, so this worries me.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2011 Ford F750 Dump Truck, (A33078)
2011 Ford F750...
2000 Bobcat 864 Turbo Two-Speed Track Loader, (A33078)
2000 Bobcat 864...
2014 Great Dane 53 X 102 Reefer Trailer (A33439)
2014 Great Dane 53...
1972 Kenworth K100 (A34302)
1972 Kenworth K100...
Wire welder (A34236)
Wire welder (A34236)
72in Grapple Bucket, (A33078)
72in Grapple...