DPF on 40 HP and lower

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #21  
Local Kenworth shop cleans DPF's. We've taken 2 or 3 non-warranty units there. Flat rate is $200 and comes back with a detailed spec/flow sheet. Nobody ever told me they can only be cleaned once. So far as I know they can be cleaned until they don't respond to the process.

Last edited:
   / DPF on 40 HP and lower #22  
Does anyone know of problems with DPF on new tractors?
Im about to buy a new Massey Ferguson and concerned about issues with this.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Early Tier 4 had issues on getting software correct additionally they regen very 20 hours. Navigate to latter years 2018 and newer. All brands suffered onset of tier 4 requirements. Most newer units regen at 50 or 60 hours if ran above 1800 rpm and either load or PTO activity. If you idle tractor a lot expect more frequent regeneration under 50 hours. They need to burn out the captured carbon run them under load above 1800 rpm you not have issues. If you don’t like regen purchase 25 hp tractor or pre tier four unit.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #23  
My 2016 Kioti has had ZERO regen issues. It's regening less frequently than 50-60 hrs: rarely do I have it running below 1,800 RPM, but it does happen here and there for various reasons. Most of the time that a regen happens I just keep working: rarely is it when I'm wanting to shut down the tractor.

DFPs in geenral aren't an issue (they're warranted for 3,000 hrs; and keep in mind that they can be cleaned at least once). It's the sensors and the software. Manufacturers are going to cover any software issues (but, of course, getting to this realization might be problematic if there isn't a known fix). Sensors, on the other hand, I'm not certain about: what the warranty coverage is for them. IF we had error code readers for our tractors we would be able to identify sensor issues and replace sensors as required, which would greatly reduce ownership stresses.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #24  
All covered emission components have the same warranty term and hours of use limit. Your equipment emissions warranty statement describes what components are covered for how long.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #25  
I watched a video on the internet that described the DPF on a Branson 3520 as 'passive'. What is the difference between a 'passive' DPF and I guess an active DPF? Is one preferable to another?

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #26  
My 2016 Kioti has had ZERO regen issues. It's regening less frequently than 50-60 hrs: rarely do I have it running below 1,800 RPM, but it does happen here and there for various reasons. Most of the time that a regen happens I just keep working: rarely is it when I'm wanting to shut down the tractor.

DFPs in geenral aren't an issue (they're warranted for 3,000 hrs; and keep in mind that they can be cleaned at least once). It's the sensors and the software. Manufacturers are going to cover any software issues (but, of course, getting to this realization might be problematic if there isn't a known fix). Sensors, on the other hand, I'm not certain about: what the warranty coverage is for them. IF we had error code readers for our tractors we would be able to identify sensor issues and replace sensors as required, which would greatly reduce ownership stresses.

My Massey 2850M shows trouble codes on the dash.

/ DPF on 40 HP and lower #27  
I watched a video on the internet that described the DPF on a Branson 3520 as 'passive'. What is the difference between a 'passive' DPF and I guess an active DPF? Is one preferable to another?

Basically it just has the filter with no means of heating the filter(extra injector or fuel injection on exhaust stroke)

It just means you have to run it a bit harder to keep it clean. Alternatively you could in theory replace the filter with a similarly shaped hollow object with little to no trouble…