DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition)

/ DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition) #11  
I am new to the tractor game, I am trying to take my time and absorb as much information I can before I pull the trigger on a tractor.
What will you be using the tractor for?

I sold my Massey Ferguson 240D soon after I got my first compact telehandler in 2009, a Bobcat V518, no regen: Compact telehandler

P9260009.JPG

P9260012.JPG
P9260016.JPG

Last edited:
   / DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition) #12  
I don't want to deal with DEF either. I'm sure it's great until it's not. Everyone who likes it, hasn't had an issue with it. My guess is that will change as soon as something goes wrong. There are too many posts on here, and other sites, about issues with their tractors because of REGEN. I don't want a tractor that has to REGEN, which means not buying one that uses DEF.

I've noticed that people like to mention that when a Tier4 tractor with DEF and REGEN fails, it's the operators fault. I can't disagree with this, but I also don't want to own a tractor that requires specific operating procedures to keep it working. I want a simple to operate tractor, that I can use when I want to, how I want to.

I don't understand why some companies use DEF on tractors under 75HP and others don't. When I was looking, I started out looking at used tractors from 2012 and older. That is the most common year when everything changed.

Everything I saw was well used, and overpriced. Eventually, I started looking at new tractors without DEF in the 70HP range. I decided that the Massey Ferguson 4707 was the best one out there for what I wanted. I've been waiting on it since November, so I can't comment on the wisdom of my choice.

Here is a chart that I came across that I found helpful in looking at new tractors.

272122171_3035671306697539_2371806571401384691_n.jpg

/ DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition) #13  
For the most part you can operate a DPF tractor (that does regens) any way you want. If you don't run it hard enough, it will regen more often. That might cause the DPF to wear out and need cleaning a little sooner but otherwise is not a big deal Running it like you're supposed do just means it'll regen less often. You can delay regens if needed. But what you can't do is to keep delaying regens. Eventually that will clog the DPF.

/ DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition)
Thanks for all of the information.

I think I'm in the same boat as Eddie, prefer no dpf, no DEF. Its simply less stuff that has the ability to break in the long run. I will have to keep an eye on the DOC if I get one with that though. I guess you hear about those a lot less than the DPF as DOC is basically like a cat off a car.

Something to think about when test driving the 4707 is try and compare the exhaust vs when I try the m4-071 / 5075e. Will be nice to at least see what I'm missing out on if I go the no DPF route.

I'm mostly buying a tractor to snowblow my driveway with and I have 30 acres of pasture that I should probably help manage. But mostly I just want a massive 80+ inch snowblower on the back with my loader on the front.

/ DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition) #15  
The tractors listed in the OP cover several years and EPA standards.

I always suggest keeping it simple and not worry about years or tiers.

Just look at any prospective tractor under the hood. If it has a standard old muffler, you have a tractor without exhaust after treatment. If it has a big can instead of a smaller muffler, you are looking at exhaust after treatment (DOC or DEF).

That said, even the earlier than exhaust after treatment, some engines used Exhaust Gas Recurculation (EGR), which on certain engines did have problems. To determine that, you will have to look into the parts diagrams to determine the way that was employed.

I know many of you like to avoid the potential problems with newer tractors with EPA mandated emission remedies. But really, you have to go back to engines produced in the early 2000's to avoid that. Now, you have to look at the maintenance issues with a 20 plus year old tractor to determine if avoiding the emissions equipment and adjustments to the way you operate the tractor are worth the other potential maintenance issues.

YMMV!!

/ DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition)
Well in my op I was referring to 2021/2022 model tractors, and I am assuming they are all made with the same standard. That's why I was wondering why some companies go with DPF and some don't, that was essentially my question.

Also I think specifically targeting tractors without certain emissions parts is a worth while goal. I want a pretty new tractor as I am a suburban guy and I want it nice and comfy when I'm doing work. I think I am feeling out that best of both worlds options, new, but also not every single emissions system.

/ DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition) #17  
I will have to keep an eye on the DOC if I get one with that though. I guess you hear about those a lot less than the DPF as DOC is basically like a cat off a car.
You still have to keep the exhaust hot (keep the rpms up) with a DOC system, same as with the DPF. I almost bought a New Holland with the DOC system and that's what the dealer told me.

/ DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition) #18  
Last edited:
   / DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition) #19  
Well in my op I was referring to 2021/2022 model tractors, and I am assuming they are all made with the same standard. That's why I was wondering why some companies go with DPF and some don't, that was essentially my question.

Also I think specifically targeting tractors without certain emissions parts is a worth while goal. I want a pretty new tractor as I am a suburban guy and I want it nice and comfy when I'm doing work. I think I am feeling out that best of both worlds options, new, but also not every single emissions system.
According to Tractor Data dot com, the New Holland Workmaster 75 referred to in the OP was produced in years 2010 to 2014, meaning the 2010 probably does not have exhaust after treatment (DOC/DPF) and later probably does.

I don't trust any salesmen to give accurate info. Especially on emissions standards.

Just do the visual as I suggested. Trust but verify!!

/ DPF vs. NO DPF (75hp edition) #20