Drag Harrow

/ Drag Harrow #11  
Rosey, it sounds like I could be missing your intended purpose or we just do things different in this area of the country. Here with a crusher run drive we would not want to loosen up the base with a harrow. The advantage of crusher run is that all the stone dust, fines, work there way between the larger stone so that as the road is used it compacts together into a very solid surface. A harrow is going to loosen up all that stone dust and let things move around until it is compacted again.

Our maintenance schedule would be to grade the road with a rear blade or box blade to reestablish a crown in the road as needed. Then when shaped as needed to get on it with the vehicles to compact it so it stays as shaped when the next rain comes.

MarkV

/ Drag Harrow #12  
Mark you are right on with the treatment of a crushed gravel road. :D :D

However; many here seem to like the looks a raked gravel drive/ road gives. :eek:

/ Drag Harrow
MarkV said:
Rosey, it sounds like I could be missing your intended purpose or we just do things different in this area of the country. Here with a crusher run drive we would not want to loosen up the base with a harrow. The advantage of crusher run is that all the stone dust, fines, work there way between the larger stone so that as the road is used it compacts together into a very solid surface. A harrow is going to loosen up all that stone dust and let things move around until it is compacted again.

Our maintenance schedule would be to grade the road with a rear blade or box blade to reestablish a crown in the road as needed. Then when shaped as needed to get on it with the vehicles to compact it so it stays as shaped when the next rain comes.

MarkV
Mark......I'm aware of the "fines" compacting down. I use the boxblade occassionaly to try to "dress up" areas of the drive and parking area and to loosten up those pesky weeds popping thru the gravel. I thought that a drag harrow would smooth things out a little better after using the box blade.