Drag Link/Tie-Rod Installation Tip

/ Drag Link/Tie-Rod Installation Tip #1  

lowandslow1

Tractor
John Deere 1530 Diesel
Most folks already have this figured out but a installation tip for installing tie-rod ends/drag links is to use three jamb nuts. I had a problem getting the taper portion of the tie-rod to seat and not spin. Use one thin jamb nut next to the steering arm to pull it down and use two jamb nuts on the end bound against each other at the end of the threaded portion and use a wrench there to keep the tie-rod end from spinning. I had to use this procedure when I installed a new steering drag link on my JD tractor and the threads on the new part were metric (?#%@!? on a JD replacement part?) and it was not drilled for a castle nut, it came with a nylon locknut. The drag from the nylon locknut would spin the tie-rod and it would not seat. So a trip to ACE and 4 jamb nuts later I had the pins installed. I left the one jamb nut that pulled the pin down installed (so I could remove the locknut later if needed) and just put the locknut over the top of it.

Another tip that works like anti-seize and a lubricant is to use a little latex paint on the threads of the bolt. Paint/dab/dip the end of the bolt with latex paint and spin on the nut and torque. It dries on the threads keeping them from rusting, helps hold the nut in place, lubricates the nut as you torque and is soft enough later to not impede the removal of the nut. DO NOT use enamel as it dries too hard and can make removal later a pain.

/ Drag Link/Tie-Rod Installation Tip #2  
Good tips. Must be a cost savings not to drill the threads for a cotter pin.

/ Drag Link/Tie-Rod Installation Tip #3  
I own a John Deere "LA". Does the drag link attach from the steering box to a front steering spindle and the tie rod connect from spindle to spindle?
I need to change either the drag link ends or the tie rod ends. Could they be called the same, according to who is talking? I was brought up on a tobacco farm, but never thought about it.

Thanks, BillyG

/ Drag Link/Tie-Rod Installation Tip #4  
The way I learned it, the tie rod goes from side to side, "tieing " the wheels together for steering. The drag link can run front to rear or side to side, but connects the steering gearbox to one spindle or to the tie rod.

Bruce

PS: learned on an LA, too. :)

Pitman-Knuckle-Draglink.jpg

/ Drag Link/Tie-Rod Installation Tip #5  
The way I learned it, the tie rod goes from side to side, "tieing " the wheels together for steering. The drag link can run front to rear or side to side, but connects the steering gearbox to one spindle or to the tie rod.
he number
Bruce

PS: learned on an LA, too. :)

View attachment 451294

Appreciate the words of wisdom. You would be surprised at the number of people I've asked and they would scratch their head and wonder. Now maybe I'll get the right parts when I order.

Many thanks, BillyG