Drain or Pump out the old oil?

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil? #21  
Finally, most of those places use labor that aren't really qualified in the first place, aka: high school kids, part time help.

I'll always do my own routine services.
I do too, and will continue to as long as I physically can. The OP was concerned about getting older and less able/willing to wiggle under a vehicle to get at the drain plug and/or filter.

I agree that the help at Jiffylube-type places aren't exactly top shelf, but I doubt they're any worse than the chain tire/auto centers that do brake/exhaust/oil changes.

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil? #22  
I agree with that. Especially Wally World where the tire jockeys use torque sticks to torque lug bolts.

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil?
Well, a year later and I'm finally getting back to this pumping oil out thing. Got some fittings and a pump and am putting it together. For those that change oil that way, what type of pump do you use? Anything special or any hints?
rScotty

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil? #24  
...and getting back to it, I don't because sludge will accumulate in the bottom of the oil pan over time which is why there is a drain plug in every oil pan.... Lots of pumps on Amazon if you are inclined to do that.

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil? #25  
   / Drain or Pump out the old oil? #26  
My 2 cents if you use a pump to change oil run the engine to heat the oil up, move the siphon hose around if you start sucking air.

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil? #27  
I read the reviews on the Amazon ad posted and a fair number of them weren't glowing... Not in my wheelhouse though I can see it when the drain plug is hard to access. None of mine are except my Focus RS Turbo where I have to remove the engine splash shield prior to draining the oil but then it has to be removed to access the oil filter as well.

I suspect that shield is there primarily to make the bottom side of the car more 'aerodynamic' and improve the fuel mileage more than anything else and it gets 40 mpg average so it must do something besides be a PITA to remove.

My tractors as well as my wife's Suburban and the side by side and all my motorcycles, the drain plugs and filters are all easy to get to.

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil? #28  
I read the reviews on the Amazon ad posted and a fair number of them weren't glowing... Not in my wheelhouse though I can see it when the drain plug is hard to access. None of mine are except my Focus RS Turbo where I have to remove the engine splash shield prior to draining the oil but then it has to be removed to access the oil filter as well.

I suspect that shield is there primarily to make the bottom side of the car more 'aerodynamic' and improve the fuel mileage more than anything else and it gets 40 mpg average so it must do something besides be a PITA to remove.

My tractors as well as my wife's Suburban and the side by side and all my motorcycles, the drain plugs and filters are all easy to get to.

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil? #29  
I saw a post on another website about Dodge Challengers and it showed how some drain plugs aren’t really on the bottom of the pan and maybe an oil extractor does a better job. I’m not convinced an extractor does a better job but in some cases it might.

/ Drain or Pump out the old oil? #30  
I saw a post on another website about Dodge Challengers and it showed how some drain plugs aren’t really on the bottom of the pan and maybe an oil extractor does a better job. I’m not convinced an extractor does a better job but in some cases it might.
Sounds like a typical slush box transmission to me. heck, most auto tranny's don't even have drain plugs on the pans but mine do because the first time I changed the fluid, the pans got a bulkhead fitting installed so I can change them as well. On my Ford Focus RS, I have to have the rear end of the vehicle quite a bit lower than the front to drain out all the oil as the drain plug is not on the bottom but on the backside about an inch above the floor of the pan.