Drainage for wet area near the river

/ Drainage for wet area near the river #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I have an area about 150 feet wide and 600 feet long that stays pretty wet near the river. I have been able to have it mowed twice in drought conditions to get rid of junk shrubs, saplings etc. Even then the track equipment nearly got stuck a couple of times and certainly left large ruts. The top ground in the very soft areas is kind of a dark muck material.
There are perhaps a dozen larger trees in that area, nothing of real value, maybe one walnut and oak.
I would like to add some farm drainage tile so it might dry enough I could mow it with my own equipment without getting stuck. I can run the drains to the river.
One issue, would the remaining tree roots grow into the tile and make them useless. Also a lot of small stumps remain from the trees already removed, I do not think a ditching machine has a chance, I would think a track back hoe would need to do the work. Unsure of the expense and spacing of the tile to do an adequate job.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. With it "cleared" for the moment I can now see the river from the barn and deer and turkeys that I did not know were going through that area. Thanks

/ Drainage for wet area near the river #2  
Your question is directly about tiling the area but as TBNers are famous for I question your reasons for doing it. Nature needs diverse habitat and the type you describe is found most places. Unless you have pressing need for the 2 acres I'd say leave it be and don't spend time and money messing with Mother Nature.
Many years ago my brother got into a sideline raising hogs on the 800 acre row cropping family farm. There were 200 acres of woodland used as pastureland. There were 4 areas ranging from 1/2 acre to 5 acres that stayed wet year-round. One by one brother fenced them for hogs. Within a couple of years a pond appeared in each are and remainder dried up. Hog pens were torn down over 50 years ago and those ponds remain today draining to a nearby creek. I don't know if there would be repercussions about poluting the river but fencing your swamp for hogs and goats would cost far less than tiling and might result in conditions you are pleased with. If you wound up with a pond it would be simple to drain if it wasn't doing so naturally.
A similar approach if you have a tractor hoe is begin trenching from downhill edge piling dirt along side trench to keep tractor out of mud. Probably have to dig a while then let piled dirt dry before digging more.

/ Drainage for wet area near the river #3  
So, the tile would still have to be gravity fees down hill to the river. My thought, how much fall from this wet area to the mean high water line of the river? If you have less than 18", I dont think the tile stand a chance of surviving. If it Is 18" or more, I would look at possibly cutting some minor swales. Doesn't have to be extreme, if this is primarily a water issue. It could also be a muck/organics issue, which is much harder to deal with.

Also, make sure you're not going to cause yourself legal issues. Water rules vary wildly by state, but in Florida, I'm not sure this would be something you can just go and do.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Drainage for wet area near the river #4  
If the grades work for tile; as the ground water comes out of that mucky organic soil, the soil itself will subside too.

/ Drainage for wet area near the river #5  
If it was me, and I was allowed; I think I would consider digging 2 small ponds with a channel from the pond to the river, and then using the spoils to bring up the remaining grades. The extra weight of that fill will create what is called a Surcharge, basically additional weight, squeezes the water out of the soils, which will gather in the ponds, and then outfall to the river.

For the environmental minded, the outfall channels create the ability to clean the outfall waters though grasses/veg, removing turbidity and any nutrients from the outfalling water.

Last edited:
   / Drainage for wet area near the river
If I get time I will try to measure how high the land is above the current water's top. It is really low now. Several times a year the river floods and overflows there, the rise then could be 7 or 8 feet for sure. Right now I "think" the bank top is 4 or 5 feet above the low water.
I thought of a grass "waterway" but do not think that will do much for me. I have 3/4 mile of river front, most of it floods at times up to 300 to 400 feet out of the banks. Just wanted to try to dry up a very limited area.
Years ago there was a road that followed the river but several bad floods washed out parts and it was abandoned maybe 100 years ago.

/ Drainage for wet area near the river #7  
I don't know and can't speak to any potential environmental issues that could arise, but part of me wonders if you could outfit a BCS walk behind with some kind of high flotation tires and cut this with a flail or brush mower? If you got stuck, it would be easier to winch out than a tractor.

/ Drainage for wet area near the river
I do have a DR mower but enough small stumps etc that it has not worked well. I have a pull behind for my ATV but similar issues and of getting stuck. Not quite like jello the ground but pretty infirm.

/ Drainage for wet area near the river #9  
If I get time I will try to measure how high the land is above the current water's top. It is really low now. Several times a year the river floods and overflows there, the rise then could be 7 or 8 feet for sure. Right now I "think" the bank top is 4 or 5 feet above the low water.
I thought of a grass "waterway" but do not think that will do much for me. I have 3/4 mile of river front, most of it floods at times up to 300 to 400 feet out of the banks. Just wanted to try to dry up a very limited area.
Years ago there was a road that followed the river but several bad floods washed out parts and it was abandoned maybe 100 years ago.

So, I would probably cut some 12" deep x 24" wide ditches, running maybe 45 degrees from river main line of flow, to help get the water out of the boggy area, and keep water from sitting on it as bad/as long when water does come up.

I'm just not sure how tile will work, it might be fine, but it's gonna be a real pain in the butt to install.

Edit: obviously, angled toward the way the river is flowing. I think part of the way to deal with it, is to keep the water from just sitting there for weeks/months after a rise, and getting it out of there as soon as the main river starts dropping.

Last edited:
   / Drainage for wet area near the river #10  
For every foot deep field tile is laid, it will drain 10 foot left and right of it.
so if you placed the tile 4 foot deep, you would need a line every 80 feet for good coverage.

Or you could trench a line on both sides of every problem area and hope for the best. The problem areas will always be soft without tile. So put in as much as you can afford and get a GPS map from the installer so more tile can be added in the future.