Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I need to run some 4" thin wall drainage PVC under our driveway which is paved.

I am going to dig a trench for it say about 8" deep and then patch the pavement.

My question is does it need support to protect it from crushing?

My ideas if it needs protection is to run it through some 6" PVC pipe or pour vertical sides in the trench to keep it from collapsing?

Is there a better way it protect it?

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway #2  
I have 6" thinwall under my driveway with only a half inch of dirt on top of it, then the driveway concrete of 6". Pipe was laid before the pour so it's tied into the rest of the slab. As long as you're looking at cars and light trucks I'd be sure the pipe had a good supporting bed (sand would work) about half way up the pipe and then fill the rest with concrete. That will give you about 4" concrete over the pipe and should work for light vehicles.

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway #3  
Yes, it needs protection, and I would start by using SCH40 pipe or better, and I would try to bury it deeper if possible. If not, I would pour a wider strip reinforced concrete above it.

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway #5  
Make sure you don’t use the foam core. That stuff is trash. You could just about drive a truck across the schedule 40 solid wall with it laying on top of the ground. You won’t have any problems with that crushing unless you’re going across it with dump trucks in soft water. You might not like the price of 6” pvc though. It’s probably cheaper to use a 12” double wall culvert.

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway #6  
I need to run some 4" thin wall drainage PVC under our driveway which is paved.

I am going to dig a trench for it say about 8" deep and then patch the pavement.

My question is does it need support to protect it from crushing?

My ideas if it needs protection is to run it through some 6" PVC pipe or pour vertical sides in the trench to keep it from collapsing?

Is there a better way it protect it?
The pipe from my septic tank to the leach field runs under the gravel parking pad and is 4" green 3034 (thin wall) inside 6" Sch40 with 6"-8" of gravel on top and has held up for 20ys so far.

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway #7  
The pipe from my septic tank to the leach field runs under the gravel parking pad and is 4" green 3034 (thin wall) inside 6" Sch40 with 6"-8" of gravel on top and has held up for 20ys so far.

The green stuff is schedule 35 and it’s pretty durable. I’d way rather have the schedule 35 green stuff over schedule 40 foam core. They make schedule 20 drain pvc and it’s pretty flimsy.

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway
If I ended the 4" french drainpipe at our driveway and dug a trench (18" wide by 18" deep) through the driveway that I filled with packed 57 stone and then repaved the trench since there is close to 12" of fall across that 20'. This would eliminate the chance of the 4" PVA collapsing.

I wonder if that would handle the drainage from the french drain long-term?

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway #9  
Have you got pictures of the project? I don't use thin wall for anything sch 40 or better.

/ Drainage PVC (4") Under Driveway
Have you got pictures of the project? I don't use thin wall for anything sch 40 or better.
Not good pictures, but the drain will run under the four windows.

The last two pictures show the slope across the driveway.

Attachments

• IMG_2295.jpeg
    IMG_2295.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2294.jpeg
    IMG_2294.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2280.jpeg
    IMG_2280.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2259.jpeg
    IMG_2259.jpeg