Dream Cars

/ Dream Cars #21  
bgott,

Man are you speaking my language! My first car was a '77 Plymouth Fury wagon with a 360 3spd auto. I bought a '70 Challenger that someone had rolled and transplanted the 440 magnum and 4spd manual/pistolgrip into it. This car was midnight blue metallic with blacked out windows, chrome wagon wheels and 80" functional sidepipes. In the interior I put a set of 60's era t-bird buckets in with a console made of wood to hold all of the guages. Man was that a fun car! I still have this thing about wagons to this day that few seem to understand./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I still have a hankering for an E type Jaguar......just can't get over my fear of British car engineering.

Jeff

/ Dream Cars #22  
No problem, Bob. You'll get it! By the way, here's a link to the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=support&Number=127295&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1>Signatures</A> thread I mentioned earlier if you need it. Should save you some time!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Dream Cars #23  
This came up a while back... Some one mentioned how suprised they were to see so many Mopars mentioned.

My short list would be:
Newer Jag XJR Super Chargered
Hemi Superbird
Hemi or 440 sixpack 70-71 Challenger, ala "Vanishing Point"
Another '74 Road Runner with a V10 crate motor
Hennessy Viper
Jag XKE
Early Trans Am
American LaFrance Pumper/Engine, any year

/ Dream Cars
Your story about passing on the Cobra back in '69 reminds me of the cars I passed on. Here's a list (of what I can remember):

1971 Roadrunner, 440-6 with airgrabber hood for $4000,
1969 Dodge Daytona in need of paint for $9000
1970 Plymouth Superbird in great shape for $11000,
1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible for $13000 - (yes, you read that correctly!),
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 (with the tac on the hood) for somewhere's about $3000.

As you can tell I'm parital to Mopars. There's a 71 Roadrunner with a 440-6 with air-grabber hood in black (only drawback is it's an automatic), for sale on www.hemmings.com that I'd love to have for only/w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif $34000!

Here's a few of my favorite sites about old cars:
www.cars-on-line.com
www.carsinbarns.com

/ Dream Cars #25  
For me it would have to be a 1969 Corvette convertible with the 427 Tri-power and the Muncie M-22 "Rock crusher" transmission. The factory rated the engine at 435 hp but I read an article in one of the hot rod magazines that stated the engine dynoed out at over 500 hp bone stock. (Insert Tim Allen grunt here)/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Dream Cars
I'm not sure if your talking about the same car, but I had heard about this car making up to 600hp. Also, I believe that GM had only made 2 of them.

I also wouldn't mind a '64 Impala with a 409/425hp tri-power.

/ Dream Cars #27  
If I recall correctly (it was quite a few years ago that I read the article) the dynamometer that the magazine used would only go up to 500 hp and the engine went past that. I don't know what the actual production numbers were but I would bet that at least a few hundred were built in 1969. If you want to talk about super rare Corvettes, then the 1963 Corvette Grand Sport is your car. These were factory built racecars, built in 1965, but using the 1963 body and chassis. They were meant to compete against the Shelby Cobras on the racetracks. Only 6 were built, and from what I read, they kicked some serious posterior and took a few names when they raced against the Shelbys. Only 5 of the cars whereabouts are known today, so keep your eyes open when exploring old barns./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Dream Cars #28  
HMMMM... I always admired the Mercedes Benz Gullwing Coupe but unfortunately their price always appreciated faster than my earning ability and over time the gap got so big I sort of realized it wasn't happening, or going to.

In the reality department I have had several fun vehicles but I'll just mention the top two ground transports and leave out boats and airplanes. I bought a new Sunbeam Tiger (Pretty much an Alpine with a Ford V-8 and 4-spd) but oh what a difference it makes to go from 1725cc 4 banger to a 289/302 high performance Ford V-8. Came stock with cast iron manifolds in and out, hydraulic lifters, stock cam, 2 barrel carb etc. Was a pretty snappy performer and with Ford's help they were making a good showing at the track. Chrysler bought a controlling interest in Routes Group (Like Gen Motors of England) the parent company of Sunbean, Talbot, etc. and as you might expect didn't do a lot of advertising for a Ford engined car nor did they support its racing campaigns.

After I had a thousand miles on the clock I was eligible to have the dealer install certain factory authorized and supplied modifications which included: Vic Edelbrock designed hi-rise aluminum intake manifold to accept a competition Harley 4 barrel carb, high performance racing cam and solid lifters, welded tuned exhaust headers with big dumps, dual point racing distributor, and I added a third party electronic magneto for improved spark and to jam all nearby electronic communications and some microwave ovens, pacemakers, and garage door controllers. This was a 165 MPH vehicle. I didn't do that often or for long but did see lots of tripple digit numbers on the speedo when conditions waranted doing it with a margin of safety. Dusting Vettes and E Jags was fun but usually not challenging. It was not a drag racer but the owners who opted for that ran around 108 or so at about 13 flat. Not bad for a "stock" sports car that had near perfect 50/50 weight distribution and cornered decently. Installed an intercom like motorcyclists use as on road trips my wife and I couldn't talk comfortably at cruise speed (90 or so) with the top down.

A close second for fun is my '61 VW beatle based street legal dune/beach buggy. Shortened wheel base by 14 inches by sectioning out space that was the gap between the front and rear seating. Replaced bug body with a no-doors fiberglass body. I have a full roll cage around passenger compartment and engine. Recently had a removable convertible top made with working/removable doors, removable top, and separately removable wrap around plastic window in the back. Can pop doors, top, or back window off and toss in the cargo/backseat area or for hot sun days leave the top of the top up for shade and remove the doors and back window. The engine isn't supermodified but does OK and the weight being significantly less I get good acceleration and a top speed over 80. Would prefer higher ratio gearing for higher R's and more power at slower road speed to have better low speed control in rough terrain but OH WELL. I could get part of that effect if I changed to smaller rear tires but I like having tires a foot wide as they tread lightly on the land.

I lied, I'll mention a third vehicle. A Suzuki GT365 3cyl 2 stroke motorcycle. It was amazing for its displacement, accelerated nicely due to always having a cylinder in its power stroke.

Thanks to the previous posters for listing so much American performance iron. Over the years I had forgotten the names of many of the cars I used to "surprise" with the Tiger.

Patrick

/ Dream Cars #29  
I think the '69 Vette that pushed the 600 hp mark was the L88 version. Very fast but not very streetable. It was a heater delete, radio delete car that was rated at a lower hp on the dealership order forms than the one he mentioned to discourage uninformed buyers (non racers) from checking off the highest hp version. I'm not sure what the '69 versions are going for but I have seen '67 L88's heading close to 1,000,000 dollars. You also have to remember that the hp rating was calculated differently back then so you have to lop off about 100 hp right off the bat when comparing to todays cars./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attached is a picture of my '65 L78 396ci big block.

Jeff

Attachments

• 6-165333-65roadster.jpg
    6-165333-65roadster.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 59
   / Dream Cars #30  
It does make you wonder what the real numbers were for a lot of motors. None seemed to be rated that particularily high. You figure you had 440 six pack, 426 hemi, 413 and 426 wedge mopars. Then there were the Fords, with the 427's, and that 429 hemi head motor they made. Chevy had thier 427's, and 454's. Most of the motors were not rated more than 425-450hp. All of those motors had to have been making bigger numbers than that... Add in the small blocks, and a few other manufacturers; there was some kind of conspiricy going on /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif