Dredging the creek

/ Dredging the creek #1  

RebelYell

Silver Member
East TN, Limestone(between Johnson City and Greene
Tractor
Kubota BX22
This bridge is low to the water, so when the creek floods, the bridge doesn't create a huge problem. However, after a flood the drains are stopped up by rock and mud. I figure I will have a free supply of dirt every time we get a good rain. The bank went out into the water a good bit right in front of the bridge so I decided to dig it out some. Of course I was just looking for a place to play with my BH. I love this little machine but being small sometimes has it disadvantages. I had to move alot of the dirt twice to get it up onto the bridge to where I could scoop it up with the FEL.

Attachments

• 352649-dredge.JPG
    352649-dredge.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 564
   / Dredging the creek
This is a pic from up the creek a bit. You can see the walking bridge in the background. I used the dirt from the dredging to raise the bank where water from last winters flood had came over.

Attachments

• 352650-dredge1.JPG
    352650-dredge1.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 463
   / Dredging the creek
This is a pic of last winter's flood. You can see th bottom of the walking bridge in the pic, lol and those stupid guinneas who sat on that fence for 2 hours while the water was rising. I have raised the bank about a foot in this area which has saved me twice this past summer. We have had an unusual amount of rain this year. I suppose when I get all the work I am doing to help reduce the risk of flood then we will have a 10 year drought. I lived in PA for several years before I decided to buy a snowblower, shoveled the March 13, 1993 storm; if anyone remembers that blizzard. Happened to me my sons birthday, one I will never ever forget. Owned it for 2 years after that storm and used it once on a 5 inch snow. Althought the 3rd and last year I lived there we had 10 to 15 inches every week.

Attachments

• 352651-Flood2x.jpg
    352651-Flood2x.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 457
   / Dredging the creek #4  
Neat pics. We have a creek through our front yard, and it usually gets up over the banks a couple times each year. The "flood" only lasts a few hours at most, and the only damage is an occasional pile of soybean stems or cornstalks.

We have a fairly massive concrete bridge and had the driveway paved several years ago. The first time it flooded after the driveway was paved, there was only dirt fill along the blacktop. Some of the blacktop was undermined by the current. I discovered that late one Saturday when the water went down. I spent Sunday working on stuffing a stiff mix of concrete (sixteen 80 pound bags) under the hollowed-out blacktop. It never sank an inch - whew! Since we have grass well established, high water is little more than an inconvenience.

Wifey still gets hyper when the water comes up. I'll have to show her some real water in your pics....................chim