drill bit holder

/ drill bit holder
I used thin wall 2x2 tubing I drilled 1"3/4" holes then used 1"1/4 electrical pvc coduit for liners I welded the tube together stepping back like steps.I then welded 3" flat bar up both side to seal up ends of tubes and to tie them together then I welded 3" flat bar across back at top to secure to wall then I welded a piece of pipe on the back of the bottom tube to hit the wall and give support very happy with the way it turned out very solid hope this helps

/ drill bit holder #12  
The rack looks neat and very well constructed. However, I'm a 'bit' confused by the concept.

Why do you want to mix bits of the same size? Are you not mixing older, duller bits with new and sharper bits? I would have thought that a neat standard holder for one of each size next to the drill press, with a stock of new/re-sharpened bits in a different holder (like the one you have made), would be more efficient.

Besides, why do people need so many bits of each size?

/ drill bit holder #13  
I have a drill press, milling machine, engine lathe, and a bunch of corded and cordless drills all within my "metal shop" space. I have another drill press and more hand drills in my wood shop space. To me, having a dedicated "in use" organizer at each tool makes less sense than one big organizer in each shop space.

Also, for any given size, I may have several each of jobber length, screw machine, brad point, forstner, and spade. Possibly in 118 and 135 point, and sometimes bullet point. Sometimes in HSS and carbide. In full shank, S&D, and morse taper shank...and square taper brace-and-bit. Sizes can be by 64ths, letter and number. I think I bought a box of metrics recently, if I can remember where I put it.

At the moment my current organizer is a shelf with a couple of half full indexes, a bin full of taper shanks and large sizes, and a pile of loose bits. Plus a pile "in use" next to whatever work surface I am using, which may eventually get put back. So this setup would be a big step up for me.

As for dull bits...if you are an organized person, why would you put them back in the organizer, and not, say in a "to be sharpened" bin next to the sharpener? Granted, my dull bits usually end up in the pile with the rest...I tend to check the edge on my thumb. The broken ones end up next to the sharpener...

/ drill bit holder #14  
Makes sense now. Thanks for the info.

Ken

/ drill bit holder #15  
I have a drill press, milling machine, engine lathe, and a bunch of corded and cordless drills all within my "metal shop" space. I have another drill press and more hand drills in my wood shop space. To me, having a dedicated "in use" organizer at each tool makes less sense than one big organizer in each shop space.

Also, for any given size, I may have several each of jobber length, screw machine, brad point, forstner, and spade. Possibly in 118 and 135 point, and sometimes bullet point. Sometimes in HSS and carbide. In full shank, S&D, and morse taper shank...and square taper brace-and-bit. Sizes can be by 64ths, letter and number. I think I bought a box of metrics recently, if I can remember where I put it.

At the moment my current organizer is a shelf with a couple of half full indexes, a bin full of taper shanks and large sizes, and a pile of loose bits. Plus a pile "in use" next to whatever work surface I am using, which may eventually get put back. So this setup would be a big step up for me.

As for dull bits...if you are an organized person, why would you put them back in the organizer, and not, say in a "to be sharpened" bin next to the sharpener? Granted, my dull bits usually end up in the pile with the rest...I tend to check the edge on my thumb. The broken ones end up next to the sharpener...

I THOUGHT I was being organized, but the guy that runs the shop is (permanently) "out to lunch"!

IMG_3972.JPG

/ drill bit holder #16  
Oooo....drawer index, I'm envious!