Drill bit sharpening

/ Drill bit sharpening #11  
I just watched the video's posted by "bcp" the 3rd video showed the expert talking about the heel so I guess it is called the heel. I guess we better listen to the expert on this one, he looks as if he knows what he's doing and talking about.:)

/ Drill bit sharpening
I just watched the video's posted by "bcp" the 3rd video showed the expert talking about the heel so I guess it is called the heel. I guess we better listen to the expert on this one, he looks as if he knows what he's doing and talking about.:)

Ok That kind of clears it up a bit, I will have to watch the video. Also, dormer and a few others actaully make carbide tipped twist drills for things like cast iron and stainless. I can see them being god for that, but with how much normal dormer bits cost, I dont even want to know the price of those.

/ Drill bit sharpening #13  
I get mine from a local industrial supply house but I have ordered them from McMaster-Carr. If I've got several things to order it kind of offsets the shipping cost. Also the price of gas to drive into town is about the same as shipping cost.

/ Drill bit sharpening #14  
Wren use to make a nice little drill sharpener and am pretty sure they still do. Use to be around $35. More now???

For sharpening Carbide there is a "Green Wheel", made by Norton, good chance made by many others as well.

Diamond wheels are great as they do not cup or channel out. Last almost forever if not abused. Best used wet. If you can find one an old lapidary grinder is designed for wet grinding. Real cheap for a wet wheel is a arbor with remote motor. Make a water shield out of an old coffee can.

I do pretty good on larger (3/8" up) drills just by eyeball. Smaller usually just by a 6 pack. In a pinch will sharpen them, but its kind of iffy.

Have Fun :)

/ Drill bit sharpening #15  
Started a similar thread a while back. I ended up with both a grinder and a drill doc. Like them both, grinder for bigger bits (I can see:thumbsup:) drill doc for the smaller ones= 5/16" and less. It also can sharpen spade bits. If I had to choose one, it would be the grinder. I do plan to get a finer wheel and learn to sharpen chisels ect. Grinder has a lot of other uses too.

/ Drill bit sharpening #16  
Personally, I prefer to use a 1" wide belt sander with a backing plate. It doesn't heat the bits nearly as bad as a grinding wheel! ~~ grnspot

/ Drill bit sharpening #17  
I was taught how to sharpen drill bits by a Master Tool & Die Maker 30 years ago. Don't do it much anymore but I haven't forgotten it yet. The one video where the guy said he likes a course wheel, that's ok for a chipped drill but that's way too course for my liking if doing a minor touchup. I also disagree with hand action of rolling back up to the cutting edge. I was taught one fluid motion from the cutting edge and swing down and out slightly with a small amount of hand twist to get the proper amount of relief on the heel. It's really hard to explain without showing someone.

Someone mentioned sharpening a Cobalt drill. If you do you also need to learn how to split the point. A Cobalt drill has a much thicker web than a std. High Speed drill.

/ Drill bit sharpening #18  
You can sharpen carbide drills, just have to have a drill sharpener to do it. Tool and drill grinder set for just those make things much easier.

/ Drill bit sharpening #19  
Interesting thread. I'm going to have to give sharpening some of my dull bits a try!

/ Drill bit sharpening #20  
Were did you learn to sharpen on a grinder I heard it could be done I tried it it was a miserable failure

Same here. Just couldn't get the hang of it, just ended up making them worse.
Picked up a drill dr. at a yard sale for $25, much better.