Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom?

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
I'm contemplating going hydraulic on my backhoe grapple. One of the things I'm trying to figure out - is how to route some of the hydraulic lines down to the cylinder and clamp them to the backhoe arm(s).

The most direct and simplest way in one case - would be to drill a hole (like a 1/4" hole) thru the dipperstick so that I could just use a bolt to hold a bracket against the dipperstick which would locate the hydraulic line(s).

My metalworking sense tells me that this is not that big of a deal, I'm not going to weaken the dipper stick at all. But I'm wondering if I'm missing something..........

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #2  
Don't drill... Use Click Bond studs! PM me.

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #3  
Couldn't you tack weld the bracket.

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #4  
I would weld some bolts to the arm rather than drill

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #5  
I don't think you would harm the backhoe in any way by drilling a hole, welding on a bracket etc. I would go for the welding since that is what I did for a living a couple of centuries ago. You may or may not have that ability so go with whatever you want. Just make sure that any water that may enter the hole has a place to drain out.

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #6  
I like using these weld on hose brackets. They may protrude too much for your application, though.

Image1461596241.609780.jpg

Terry

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #7  
The problem with welding is it messes up the paint. Putting in a small bolt won't hurt anything.

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #8  
The problem with welding is it messes up the paint. Putting in a small bolt won't hurt anything.
Tack welding wouldn't get hot enough to mess up much paint. You could easily grind and repaint it.

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #9  
Round holes do not weaken the structure.
Proof is that stop drilling is the method of controlling cracks.
Lots of aircraft structural parts have all kinds of round holes to lighten the component with a wing spar being the prime example.
In fairness I must add the round hole should be 'nick free' as nicks do start cracks.

/ Drilling a small hole thru backhoe boom? #10  
You could drill a hole through the center of the boom (not the edges where there is greater stress), but there's an easier way. Buy some of these and then weld the base plate on: 1/2 IN SINGLE WIRE DUAL HYDRAULIC HOSE CLAMP