Drive shaft U-joint grease fittings on 2032R or 2025R?

/ Drive shaft U-joint grease fittings on 2032R or 2025R? #1  

dannyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere tractors 20-40HP; skid steer loader
The owner's manual says to lubricate them every 50 hr, but shows a picture I can't identify on my tractor (2032R). Has anyone done this?

It looks like the front of the drive shaft is protected by a rubber boot with hose clamp, and the rear is covered by a plate with 4 bolts. The rubber protector won't slide on the shaft when the clamp is loosened. I guess I try removing the rear plate and see what I can find.

I fairly sure that the manual for my old 2520 did not say anything about lubricating drive shaft U-joints.

Help? (and thanks!)

Danny

/ Drive shaft U-joint grease fittings on 2032R or 2025R?
Cute little U-joint under that rear plate, but no grease fitting. Guess JD didn't have time to get the manual right for these tractors.

/ Drive shaft U-joint grease fittings on 2032R or 2025R? #3  
I haven't looked at the new ones but the 2320 has grease fittings on the rear drive shaft but not on the front shaft which looks like you describe. The information in the 2320 manual refers to the rear shaft.

Kenny,

Are you saying there are two drive shafts, or are you referring to the front and the rear of a single drive shaft?

By the way, I just checked the owners manual for the 2720 and there is nothing about lubricating the drive shaft (OMLVU19798_F9).

I also don't see any mention of drive shaft lubrication for the 2320 (OMLVU16740_E9).

But if you check the 2032R manual, there is the photo of the bottom of a tractor and instructions to lubricate the drive shaft (OMLVU25886)

One more question: Is the recommended Super Lube a silicone spray lubricant or something else?

Danny

/ Drive shaft U-joint grease fittings on 2032R or 2025R? #5  
There are two drive shafts. One goes from the engine to the hydraulic pump. It is a high speed shaft and gets lubricated. The lower shaft that drives the front wheels is a low speed shaft and the u joints don't have grease fittings. The original 2320 manual didn't include the drive shaft lubrication requirements. An addendum was issued.

Thanks very much for responding, Kenny, but I am still at a loss as to how to find this high speed shaft and the grease fittings. Is it accessed from the top side or from underneath the tractor? Is there a cover that must be removed?

The manual simply shows a picture that I can't identify or locate.

Many thanks - Danny

/ Drive shaft U-joint grease fittings on 2032R or 2025R? #7  
I can only speak to the 2320 but I understand the newer ones are very similar. The rear U-joint on the engine shaft can be seen from underneath the tractor through some openings in the frame members. The front U-joint is right next to the engine under the floorboards and cowling. There are several threads on the difficulty of greasing this one, but it gets easier after you've done it once. The lubrication interval on the earlier tractors is every 200 hours, if I recall correctly.

Thanks a ton, Kenny. Sounds like fun!

Well, I take it back. After looking high and low for the elusive U-joint grease fittings on my 2032R and drawing a blank, I called the service department at the dealer and was told that the new ones are greaseless.

This could be very confusing to new owners because the manual clearly states to grease the drive shaft U-joints every 50 hours. I think mine was delivered last October or thereabouts, if that is of any help to anyone.

I should add that another individual did find fittings on a 2025R, and also that there are 4 zerks under the foot pedals, two each side, that are not mentioned in the manual in the lubrication section.

Danny

Last edited:
   / Drive shaft U-joint grease fittings on 2032R or 2025R? #10  
I should add that another individual did find fittings on a 2025R, and also that there are 4 zerks under the foot pedals, two each side, that are not mentioned in the manual in the lubrication section.

Danny

Actually, on the 2032R there are (5) zerks under the floorboards. If memory serves me correctly, there are 3 under the left and 2 under the right. None of them are mentioned in the owners manual.