Traction Drive train YANMAR FX24D

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #11  
GWSMITH was nice enough to let my brother and I go up and take a look at his FX24D. We are about 25 miles apart. Mr. Smith has given a real good description of his problem but maybe we eliminated one possibility today. Here was our findings.
1. No rear wheel drive in any range or any gear. No unusual noises when changing ranges or gears.
2. front wheel drive and pto both engage and work quietly.
3. With the tractor in front wheel drive and pulling both right and left brakes will stop the tractor. (In my mind this eliminates a possible sheared or broken brake
or pinion shaft on either side.)
4. While moving in front wheel drive I was able to feel the differential lock pedal go down in the engaged position. It would also come back up on it's own. From experience
on how these things work I am convinced it was sliding and engaging as it is suppose to but made absolutely no difference the the rear wheel drive. It did have to roll a
little for the shifters to align and the pedal to go down. This is normal.
5. Hoye had suggested a possible rear differential problem and that seems very logical and possible to me. Only thing I struggle with is no unusual noise. I will assume
whatever is broke in there has completely lost contact therefore no noise.

Mr. Smith has given me permission to post this and "we" would welcome any suggestions. At this time we are thinking to start taking rear tires off, hydraulic unit, etc. until the location of the problem is located. Any ideas of something else to look for or try would be great.

Hoye sent Mr. Smith the YM276 repair manual for this tractor. Definitely similar but lots of differences too.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #12  
If I were to say anything it would be a guess. Maybe a roll pin that holds a drive gear to a shaft has broken and the shaft is just turning inside the gear. Take all I said with a grain of salt as, it's only a guess..Winston, If you are going to be involved , there's No doubt in my mind if/when you tear into it you'll find the problem

Last edited:
   / Drive train YANMAR FX24D
Kenmac, thanks for your input. In the next couple of days I hope to get the rear tires off the ground, and see if the transmission gives any power to the rear drive when there is No Load.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #14  
I dont see any way around either pulling the pto housing or the rockshaft housing now probably both when its all said and done. It sounds easy for me because I am here realize that but its time to get greasy. :)

Winston has gathered up a nice list of facts and I like doing that myself its like detective work sort out what is from what isn't see who's in the game playing and not and you find the culprits. :thumbsup:

Car Doc, Thanks for the input. No doubt about the necessity of getting greasy. Just putting it off for a few days waiting for/ hoping for some input from a person that has experienced this problem before. May be that I won't have to re-invent the wheel.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #16  
Welcome!

Well GW I expect we will be learning from you on this one as long as this has been posted someone would have by now answered if it was a common or even a known issue least I would think so.

Fwtw there are not that many FX on here that I am aware of anyway but that said I am surprised Tractor Ernie hasn't said something. I know from his posts he has FX models and has quite a bit of knowledge on Yanmars he maybe hasn't been around? You might shoot him a PM he might stop in then?

My logical self says its an axle but from Winstons description that shouldn't be if the brakes work. So it would be further in and part of that flow of power or all the way in to the pinion in the differential being sheared or even a side gear pinion shaft gone in the dif carrier or a side gear pinion gear busted and missing out of the carrier. just thinking out loud

Last edited:
   / Drive train YANMAR FX24D #17  
Quote from Tractor Ernie from 2007
"I would spring for the FX24, they are a nice tractor with the step thru design, (no shifter in the way) we have 2 of them here that we sell parts off to customers. Their only weakness is the ring & pinion gear in the rear axle.
Just dont do high rev power shifts and you will be fine."
I seem to remember a number of posts concerning broken ring and pinions on FX models particularly when powershifting if an overrunning clutch is not used with a rotary cutter.
Hopefully its not the ring and pinion but the only way is to open it up and have a look.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #18  
Quote from Tractor Ernie from 2007
"I would spring for the FX24, they are a nice tractor with the step thru design, (no shifter in the way) we have 2 of them here that we sell parts off to customers. Their only weakness is the ring & pinion gear in the rear axle.
Just dont do high rev power shifts and you will be fine."
I seem to remember a number of posts concerning broken ring and pinions on FX models particularly when powershifting if an overrunning clutch is not used with a rotary cutter.
Hopefully its not the ring and pinion but the only way is to open it up and have a look.

Nevis, that is some pretty revealing info there. Thank you for posting it. Just looking around I found a ring and pinion for sale on Hoye for an FX20D for $695. Sure hope that is not it but your post and symptoms sure point in that direction. Your post should be helpful information for those with those models to be careful. with their power shifting.

Looks like the ring and pinion gear will be the culprit. I will post progress reports and photos as we look for the culprit.

/ Drive train YANMAR FX24D #20  
Now we are getting somewhere thanks Nevis. Sure could be a lot cheaper if it was just a spider gear busted and missing out of the carrier.