driveline protection

/ driveline protection #1  

browns40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD3520
Hey All,

Have a question about driveline protection; specifically for a JD 3520 HST, when using the "Jinma knock-off" wood chipper...

I used an old shaft and slip clutch from the logging winch to hook up to the PTO, but in reviewing the manual that came with the shaft they provided it looks as though that shaft has ORC & slip clutch protection combined.

Is there any danger in over-running on this tractor? It's a wet disk set-up on the PTO, so technically that should be providing ORC & shock protection, but I like double-redundant systems when there's big $$$ involved, which splitting that machine would certainly involve!

Appreciate any insights or comment!

/ driveline protection
No ideas, huh?

I thought over-running clutch initially had to do with implement driving tractor forward d/t remaining inertia when PTO was always live on geared tractors....

That unit has a 175# flywheel, so it has a lot of stored energy after PTO is disengaged... after using it, seemed like over-running might end up being more of an issue than shock, as even big stuff barely drops the rpm's/slows the wheel...

No JD tech folks?

/ driveline protection #3  
trans driven pto's are not "LIVE".. and yes.. you use an orc on a trans pto to prevent inertial backfeed.

i see no problem in adding an external orc and slip clutch to your machine.. ideally.. you don't want the internal 2nd stage pto clutch to be slipping during a shock load.. it's way more money$$ and harder to fix than the average external 100$ slip clutch...

soundguy