Driveway markers

/ Driveway markers #21  
Another guy who used fiberglass sticks and a cordless drill here

/ Driveway markers #22  
Whether fiberglass sticks or rebar, I like the drill-and-insert method some of you guys use for hard ground. Never would have thought to drill first, but it makes complete sense. This is why I like this forum, always something to learn. :thumbsup:

/ Driveway markers #23  
In my case, fiberglass rods allow me to remove them in the summer so I do not have to weed whip around them. Also, I only need them in case we get a big dump early in the season and cannot see where the drive and grass meet. Once I start clearing snow off the drive, it is obvious where the edge is.

/ Driveway markers #24  
To improve visibility, and I need all the help I can get, I take a case of spent plastic water bottles and spray them bright orange.
I then take the painted bottles and put them over the fiberglass posts bottom side up. Much easier to see in blowing snow and the bottles will stay put all season long with a little electrical tape or duct tape.

B. John

/ Driveway markers #25  
In my case, fiberglass rods allow me to remove them in the summer so I do not have to weed whip around them. Also, I only need them in case we get a big dump early in the season and cannot see where the drive and grass meet. Once I start clearing snow off the drive, it is obvious where the edge is.

Same for me, but they are also critical in the late season for those heavy March snows after everything was melted off.
When I put them out in the fall, it's less than exciting since they are the sign of things to come. But come spring, when we make the call and decide "I think we can finally pull the stakes", it's a good feeling.

/ Driveway markers #26  
To improve visibility, and I need all the help I can get, I take a case of spent plastic water bottles and spray them bright orange.
I then take the painted bottles and put them over the fiberglass posts bottom side up. Much easier to see in blowing snow and the bottles will stay put all season long with a little electrical tape or duct tape.

B. John

Reminds me of seeing a similar even easier method. The guy used empty Coke cans. They looked as though he half crushed them and the re-straightened them. That gave them a bunch of facets for headlights to be reflected back at night.

/ Driveway markers #27  
I use old ski poles which are free at the Lost & Found Dept. at the local ski hill. A few taps with a hatchet and the baskets come right off. I haven't had any need for reflective tape etc. The aluminum poles bend before damaging a vehicle if a guest driver bumps his vehicle into them.

/ Driveway markers #28  
I also use the fiberglass rods. Never thought about using a cordless drill to make the holes and that is a very good method. The capped copper pipe suggestion sounds nifty as well. I have some 1/2" iron pipe and may try that.

Love the experience on this site!!!
I also use 1/2 black iron pipe, but I ended up needing to use a schedule 80 cap as I blew apart a schedule 40 one (knocked the end out of the cap).

Aaron Z

/ Driveway markers #29  
Just to clarify how I use the pipe to drive the fiberglass rods... I just push them in until the pipe hits the ground. That way I know how deep they are set, and the pipe keeps the rods from flexing. I've never used the pipe like a fence post driver to tap them in, however I can see how that would work using a schedule 40 steel pipe for driving rebar stakes.

/ Driveway markers #30  
Whether fiberglass sticks or rebar, I like the drill-and-insert method some of you guys use for hard ground. Never would have thought to drill first, but it makes complete sense. This is why I like this forum, always something to learn. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :drink:

Added:

Just to clarify how I use the pipe to drive the fiberglass rods... I just push them in until the pipe hits the ground. That way I know how deep they are set, and the pipe keeps the rods from flexing. I've never used the pipe like a fence post driver to tap them in, however I can see how that would work using a schedule 40 steel pipe for driving rebar stakes.

I was thinking of ReBar Stakes and using it as a Post Driver... instead of drilling a hole in the ground; not that that idea wouldn't work well out here in cement ground country.

I f PVC or Fiberglass were to be used, drilling would have to be used.
I used to drive a short piece of rebar, drive it in, hit to the sides to loosen, pull it out, if I can, then push in what ever stack I am using, again if I can, and tamp down the dirt and hope it stays in place.
Using the Post Driver idea with a Driver Tube a little larger than the rebar will make thing easier overall.

Thanks to all in this threads for the ideas, all great, as was said above, "One of the GREAT things about this Site are the ideas you come away with".

Last edited: