Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #11  
Down here in North Georgia crusher run is the product of choice for most roads. As others have said the sharp edges and the rock dust pack and hold well. Granite is the rock used around here. After a good base is built up and packed some people will add a layer of "57" to keep down the dust. What is called "57" here is a washed gravel under 1".

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #12  
ERNIEB,
The crush stone I'm speaking of contains mostly granite with blue stone,and I have no idea what blue stone is. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

A 14 yard load cost $152.oo and that includes trucking,and the hauling distance is about 11 miles.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #13  
Thomas
Well, lets see. around here 1 3/4 X dust or 3/4 to dust crushed limestone can be bought for $2.75 to $4.00 per ton to go 11 miles I usually charge $3.23/ton to haul it. So a 14 ton load would run you between 83.72 and 101.22 depending upon where I got it from.
ErnieB

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #14  
JAG, where in central arkansas are you located?
I live at AUGUSTA

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #15  
Ernie it's a shame that your not closer to me I would make a killing and so would you. Around here $10-14 per ton plus delivery usually about another 33% of the product price. The truck drivers have about a 45-60 mile run one way to the quarry. Even the stuff that is railroaded in is still in the same ballpark for price. Sad but true. Supply and demand at it's best just a couple of years ago average price was $7. per ton. building has gone crazy and so have all the material prices. Except for sand we have plenty of that around here and clay as well. It's just the stones we lack.

Sorry Ernie I misspelled your name now I went back and corrected it. Thanks for the heads up Scruffy!!
Gordon

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gordon on 10/18/00 09:20 PM.</FONT></P>

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #17  
Thanks for the heads up Scruffy I went back and corrected the mispelling.
Gordon

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #18  
Gordon, The last couple of years have seen some increases around here too. As you said, supply and demand. One of the two biggest quarries is Martin Marietta, who is also the highest. They have customers buying 2,000,3,000 tons per day and more. Fortunately, there are a few smaller quarries around that are happy to have small fries like me. I've been on the East Coast twice in my life and luckily nether time was it snowing. The first time I ever drove on snow was in Kansas, and if I told you that story, I know you would be ROFL. Enough to say I'd better stay in South Texas.
ErnieB

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #19  
Ernie, at least south of I-40 in Oklahoma, but then it's awful hard to get you Texans north of the RED! The rule of thumb in OK is it snows north of I-40 but not south of it.
Of course, that is just a rule of thumb, but it held true the two years we were in OK.

/ Driveway Repair: Gravel or Re-Ground Asphalt #20  
Glenn, I have put about 160-200 tons of this on my drive/road. I would have to say that it is better than road gravle if for nothing else its not as dusty. It also drains better than the gravle we have aroud here wich has clay in it and packs like rock. So i put the asphalt on top and it is very work-a-ble. Now if i can just get the wash board out in this one spot *&%$#@! Glenn i don't have any real hills like you but the fella i get this stuff from says this is what he recomends for those types of situations. It sounds like the drain tile mite be a good idea and don't forget to give it a good crown, most important!!
Rich