Driveway weed clearing

/ Driveway weed clearing #21  
Harbor Freight has a 15 gallon sprayer (no trailer) for $100. I wonder how hard it would be to make a mount to go on my lawn tractor's grass catcher mount. Hmmm....
That sounds like the best solution....for now and years to come.....TractorSupply might be another source. They run off of your tractor battery......never had one myself. My big ole 55 gallon sprayer runs off of a gasoline engine...which is more expense and maintenance issues. It works great for other projects.

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

• 2219.JPG
    2219.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 62
   / Driveway weed clearing
I'll check other sources too. It looks like my local Lowes may have a similar 15 gallon unit for $75 so that may be a better option. Neither have a boom off the back, but I'm thinking a bit of hose, a couple sprinkler heads, and a splitter would get me pretty much the same thing once mounted to some kind of dowel.

/ Driveway weed clearing
I just saw that some of these units have 2 tanks so the water is clean and the concentrate is mixed on the fly. Is that something common or I have to look for? Not sure it matters that much but seems like a really nice way to not waste too much chemical!

/ Driveway weed clearing #24  
Some of those smaller sprayers may not have a big enough pump to really do a good job of broadcast spraying.

/ Driveway weed clearing #25  
OP,

As far as rear CUT attachment, I'm thinking a land plane would work pretty well.

If you're still thinking about a sprayer, this one has been doing fine for me, it's got a wand with hose, and also has a small rear spray boom with nozzles at each end. The boom will spray 6-8' wide. 30 gal tank, 12v pump. I wired it to a rocker switch I mounted in the dash of the riding mower.

20210814_120638.jpg

/ Driveway weed clearing
I wasn't sure about the spec on the pumps but yeah if it can't provide enough pressure and flow to add a rear broadcast it wouldn't work that well for my needs. I liked the idea of a ~15 gallon tank mounted to the rear of the lawn tractor because I could easily maneuver around without having to deal with jackknifing the trailer. It's not a huge issue, but being able to back up right to the planters so I could walk around and spot spray sounds really appealing. A trailer style would work just not quite as convenient. Also it seems a bit easier to store a tank than it does a trailer.

I have a tow behind aerator that I've used maybe 2x (and should sell really) that simply takes up space. I'm trying to avoid adding to my corner of shame. At this point though, a sprayer of some kind (trailer or rear LT mounted) looks like the best option. I just wasn't expecting the prices that TractorSupply wants close to $500 for what seems like a pretty simple sprayer. I guess inflation and all but ouch.

/ Driveway weed clearing #27  
I just mow my drive when I mow the lawn. The grass and weeds help keep the stones in place and helps to keep the drive from washing.

/ Driveway weed clearing
That's what the guy at one of the tractor stores said today. He then followed by saying "yeah it looks pretty redneck, but who cares..."

I don't think the WAF would be very high if I turned the reasonably well maintained gravel driveway into a grass/weeded over one.

/ Driveway weed clearing #29  
I've considered tow behind before because walking back and forth to spray ~3 tanks takes forever. I'm a little concerned about wind getting the stuff on the lawn or plants right next to the driveway which has been the main reason I haven't gone any further with it. I've been here for almost 13 years and I've kinda thrown in the towel doing it that way! I usually spend a whole day a couple times a year walking the driveway complete coverage and all of the planters spot spraying. I'm ok with the planters, but the driveway takes FOREVER. The other thing is, doesn't cleaning the tank on those tow behinds take a while and if not done correctly the seals will be eaten prior to the next usage?
I think that if you used a weed and feed concentrate, It wouldn't harm the grass. ..Tenacity is a great product

/ Driveway weed clearing #30  
Anyone use a weed torch?
I was thinking about picking one up instead of continuing to spray Herbicides.