Driving a well point?

/ Driving a well point? #21  
You could build yourself a well drilling outfit that can go down 300 feet or so. My Grandfather and Father drilled wells with one many years ago. Took about four days or so.:D

Attachments

• drill rig.jpg
    drill rig.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,947
   / Driving a well point? #22  
We have LOTS of sand point wells in my area. The water table is eveident by the swamps and lakes scattered throughout the area. The entire area is sand, sand, sand, sand.....well you get my point.

By definition: the difference between a "shallow" and "deep" wells is that a shallow well is 25 feet or less. A deep well is over 25 feet and will need some other type of pump than vacuum to operate.

I plan to drive a sand point later this summer. If you have electricity available then many folks around here use an electric jack hammer (from the rental store) to drive the well pipe. That is my plan as they rent those for about $50 and save allot of work.

Also I recently had read where (in sand) a fellah used a shop vac with a rigid hose to vacuum his starter hole about six feet deep. I hauled my shop vac out to my property to give it a try....but have not gotten that far yet. I can see it working....but otherwise will use a hand post digger to drill a 6" starter hole.

Good luck.....you can read LOTS about wells on the web.

/ Driving a well point? #23  
The double meter worked for me. When I ran my business I was filling a 100 gallon tank several times a day and the double meter saved me untold $$ on my sewer bill.

The only problem I had was when I installed it I had the inspector come out to approve the installation. He looked at it and said I'd have to do it over again since I couldn't use plastic pipe. When I asked why he said "If you have a fire the pipe could melt" I said if the fire melts the pipe isn't that a good thing, it just may put the fire out. He didn't like my answer, so I replumbed it with copper.

/ Driving a well point? #24  
I have a started one myself, The wife wants a hand pitcher pump in the yard, She is going to build a flower bed around it. I figured if I was going to have to buy it ( for looks) I might as well try to make it work. So I work on it in my spare time. I am down about 16 feet so far. I used 3/4 pvc pipe with a jet nozzle on it hooked to a water hose. The jet nozzle cost about 2 bucks at Lowes. You just turn the water on and hold the nozzle to the ground and start washing a hole in the ground working the pipe in a up and down motion. You will be surprised how fast it will go down. I am washing a hole big enough for a 2 inch pvc pipe casing. I probably only have 2 hours in on it so far and my land is hard clay but has a springs oozing from the ground on the hills in places.

Attachments

• CIMG0065.jpg
    CIMG0065.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 843
  • CIMG0066.jpg
    CIMG0066.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 899
  • CIMG0067.jpg
    CIMG0067.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 846
   / Driving a well point? #25  
As Tim suggest jetting may be a good way to go and combine this with a pressure washer and 3/8" sch 80 pipe for the nozzle and add sections of pvc casing washing them both down until you get where you wan't to be.

Will need to alternate between the pressure washer and a hose with enough flow to carry the solids out of the hole though.

/ Driving a well point?
I was just thinking about a pressure washer when I read Tim's post. Seems like that might work well in clay soil. I've got lots and flow and pressure from my city water supply for digging. (and I **** well better for the price!)

He looked at it and said I'd have to do it over again since I couldn't use plastic pipe. When I asked why he said "If you have a fire the pipe could melt" I said if the fire melts the pipe isn't that a good thing, it just may put the fire out. He didn't like my answer, so I replumbed it with copper.
You mean rigid copper with soldered joints? What happens to them in a fire? :D
(this is why I'm not asking the city any questions about my possible well ;) )

/ Driving a well point? #27  
zmoz,

If you've never tried to unsweat a copper pipe filled with water, let me save you the trouble...it doesn't work.

Even a little water in the pipe will carry away too much heat for a propane torch to unsweat (solder), an acetylene or mapp torch gives you a better chance but still isn't enough heat.

Good luck with your well, and do yourself a favor and do a water test so you know whether or not its safe to take a mouthful while you're watering your plants.

/ Driving a well point? #28  
Guys, Keep in mind I am doing mine with just city water pressure connected to a 3/4 pvc pipe. I acualy did the first hole 5 to 7 feet with just the jet nozzle on the water hose but could not keep it going straight so I pulled it out and started over with the PVC pipe moving it over a foot. That being said I have already done 20 feet. It works very well with just the jet nozzle , pvc pipe and city water pressue.

/ Driving a well point? #29  
Guys, Keep in mind I am doing mine with just city water pressure connected to a 3/4 pvc pipe. I acualy did the first hole 5 to 7 feet with just the jet nozzle on the water hose but could not keep it going straight so I pulled it out and started over with the PVC pipe moving it over a foot. That being said I have already done 20 feet. It works very well with just the jet nozzle , pvc pipe and city water pressue.

I've jetted wells for years, the only way to go!
I use a 2" trash pump hooked to large water tank.
Trash pump to a 5' piece of 2" galvinized pipe with the end shapened.
Add pipe as needed.
Also you can see what material you're going through.
Layer of sand and gravel on top of clay is the best.
When you are where you want, drop an 1 1/4" PVC with PVC point down the center.
Pull the 2" up from around the PVC.
After the set up usually take about 5 minutes to jet a well 20'.
If your clay is at 18' or so your ok.
If you're clay all the way down with layers of sand at different levels it will be a pain.

/ Driving a well point? #30  
Go on utube and search well drilling. They show different ways to jet a well.