dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #11  
it won't hurt anything, gas caps are impervious to gas, or they would be gas caps. Just buy a new cap, and you will have a good story to tell around the beer:30

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #12  
If it's any consolation, it can't be worse than having to drop the 40 gallon fuel tank on our motorhome to replace the in-tank fuel pump while on the road to a family reunion Friday evening.:confused2:

Half way across the state and in the desert (96 degrees out) when the fuel pump decides to die!

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #13  
I'm new on here, and also a novice at mowing, and cannot find how to post a question, so i will just reply to this question with a question. I dropped a wooden stick that I use to check the fuel level (no gauge on tank) into the tank. Now it is on the bottom of the tank. Should I try to fish it out (I was afraid of removing a sensor), or will it deteriorate over time and mess up the engine?

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #14  
sissybitus - I am not entirely sure - but since I know acetone will stain the wood- I am going to assume that gas will behave the same way with wood. I would prepare for the worst that gas can eat away the wood if given enough time, but its not in immediate danger. I would fish out the wood stick as soon you can. Since most wood will float in gas, I'd try to fill it up 3/4 of way to get it out- shake tractor around to make it float towards you if needed.

However - here is the BUT part. Since most gas has ethanol in it-roughly 5- 15% but mostly 10%. wood sinks in ethanol but not in gas due to different density. If you can, buy premium gas that has no ethanol and use that for the fill up in attempt to get stick to float. Good luck !

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #15  
I'm new on here, and also a novice at mowing, and cannot find how to post a question, so i will just reply to this question with a question. I dropped a wooden stick that I use to check the fuel level (no gauge on tank) into the tank. Now it is on the bottom of the tank. Should I try to fish it out (I was afraid of removing a sensor), or will it deteriorate over time and mess up the engine?
You might try just the opposite, burn the fuel down as low as you dare so you can see the bottom of the tank. Use a flashlight to locate it and if possible, take one of the long grabber pliers that look like an alligator jaw and clamp the stick and lift it out.

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #16  
I forgot, use a longer stick in the future. I keep the butt section of a fiberglass fishing rod next to my storage tank t check the level. It is about 4 feet long on a 24" tank so no chance it is going to fall inside.

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #17  
Gary, thanks for responding. The stick was a lot longer, but someone borrowed the machine and I guess the stick was too long for the pocket i kept it in. He cut it. When I went to dip the stick I realized it had been cut, but I did not realize how deep the tank was. Ho Hum. For now I will have to borrow some grabbers; and I might have to invest in a cap that has the gauge on it. What a concept!

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #18  
sissybitus - I am not entirely sure - but since I know acetone will stain the wood- I am going to assume that gas will behave the same way with wood. I would prepare for the worst that gas can eat away the wood if given enough time, but its not in immediate danger. I would fish out the wood stick as soon you can. Since most wood will float in gas, I'd try to fill it up 3/4 of way to get it out- shake tractor around to make it float towards you if needed.

However - here is the BUT part. Since most gas has ethanol in it-roughly 5- 15% but mostly 10%. wood sinks in ethanol but not in gas due to different density. If you can, buy premium gas that has no ethanol and use that for the fill up in attempt to get stick to float. Good luck !

Radioman, thanks for responding. When I buy gas I add some of that stabilizer stuff that is supposed the negate the ethanol. Even so, the stick is not floating. I am going to borrow a grabber and try to get it out that way. Some people will do anything to avoid having to use the mower today!

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #19  
Nothing "negates" the ethanol over long term use. You can stabilize it (with limited effect) but it will never last as long as stabilized pure gas.

/ dropped aplastic gas cap into gas tank JD LA135 #20  
Sissybitus,
Are you in reference to the JD 318?