Drowning information and video

/ Drowning information and video #42  
We lived on a lake. My mom was scared we'd drown. So we all had to take swimming lessons as kids. Once you passed intermediate, you didn't have to wear a life jacket near the water anymore. I have 4 older siblings. All of us became lifeguards and worked at city pools and the beach on the lake we lived on. Three or four of us became water safety instructors. It was good summer money, plus you got to teach kids to swim, a lifelong skill.

My wife and mother in-law never learned to swim. They took adult swimming lessons together after my wife and I got married. It's never too late.

/ Drowning information and video
There was a near drowning of a five year old in a water park in NC a few days ago. 60 people in a pool with eight life guards plus supervisors on duty. I doubt all eight life guards were on duty since some had to be on break. The article did not mention the size of the pool but 60 people is a large number even in a large pool and it would be easy to miss a five year old getting in trouble as shown in the video at the start of this discussion. The child was in critical condition and there has not been an update which is not good.

I am constantly reading articles about shortages of life guards which is causing reduced pool hours and closures. The pools have increased pay but they still cannot get enough lifeguards.

Later,
Dan

/ Drowning information and video #45  
Good video and remarkable work by the life guard. I am guessing he knows techniques we don't know. Probably watching to see if there any tubes without a kid on it. Maybe that is the reason they removed the empty tube so quickly. Hope she takes some swimming lessons and is not afraid of the water now.

/ Drowning information and video #47  
Free webinar on open water lifeguarding. I have taken his ice rescue class, he does a great job. His videos of incidents are memorable!

/ Drowning information and video
There rae way too many drownings this season. Been a couple of drownings at the beach in the last week or two and I saw a report in GA where three siblings drowned. To kids under the age of 6 and an adult sibling that was 22. What a horror show for the family.

Later,
Dan