Drum mower for Farmall 560

/ Drum mower for Farmall 560 #1  

Spencer2598

Tractor
Massey 50, Farmall 560
Hey everyone, I posted a few weeks ago in the attachment section and got some good feed back but I just clicked into this section and noticed all the drum mower topics so figured some of you could give me more advice.

I知 looking at different drum mowers and trying to decide what my Farmall 560 can handle. I致e looked at the Reese 2400 but I知 concerned that it might be a little too much for me. I know I値l need to get the conversion kit for the 2 pt but other than that, how big of a drum mower could I handle? I know what most of them say for the minimum hp but how much of that is because of weight? The 560 is pushing 7000# with me on it and if I have to slow down some, that痴 not a big deal because part of my field is extremely rough. Also, the tractor has around 60 hp. Any in put would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Drum mower for Farmall 560 #2  
I bought the Ford 3910 recently specifically for my 6' drum mowing tractor. You can www Tractor Data to read up on the specs. I don't know why you would have a problem with your 560!

/ Drum mower for Farmall 560
How does your 3910 handle the 6’? If you don’t mind me asking, what brand is your mower? I’m just asking so I can compare the specs. I think a 6 footer would be just fine for me, I’m wondering how much, if any, bigger could I go. Or is it just better to stay with a 6’ and just drive.

/ Drum mower for Farmall 560 #4  
Go to the Small Farm Innovations www. On handling, just fine and no front weights were required....but light. I did add about 150# about 1' out from the front axle (on the grille guard) and made it just right.

No other weights on the tractor so it's at the minimum Tractor Data specs with 3 rib 600-16 6 ply on the front and 13.6x28 4 ply F1 bar lugs on the rear at about 15 PSIG. The hyd pump flow is pretty good with this tractor and lift is fast. As I said earlier, power is not the question.....left front wheel stability is.

/ Drum mower for Farmall 560
Thanks! I will check it out.

/ Drum mower for Farmall 560 #6  
I have a CCM 190 drum mower, which is just a little over 74 inches, and run it behind a MF 4707. The MF 4707 weighs in a little over 11,000 lbs. I have no problem pulling it as fast as I want to go, the only time it is a little uneasy is making sharp tuns on hillsides at speed (6.5-9 mph) with the mower lifted. If you watch that I think you would be fine. One last thing is to watch out for bumps at transport speeds with the mower in transport position. I don't have much of a problem with that but I could see a lighter tractor having a little more of an issue.

/ Drum mower for Farmall 560 #7  
You should be able to handle the PZ170 with ease and probably the 190 series. If you haying they have one with a conditioner. Your are correct in that the HP requirements are for weight of tractor too. I run a PZ170 without issue with my Bobcat CT235.

/ Drum mower for Farmall 560 #8  
Yeah, PZ170 is a great mower. I sold my Reese 1400 after ten years and it was a great mower but I wanted something with hydraulic lift and a curtain. The Reese could be run with a New Holland boomer with only 22hp! The Carraro ran it (40hp) but the hook up was a nightmare. I really like the Kuhn better.

/ Drum mower for Farmall 560 #9  
Sorry for the late info on this post. I have been doing 5x6 rolls of hay with a farmall 560 diesel wide front end for about 20 years. At one time we were putting up 1500+ bales of hay a year with 3 560 diesel tractors. We have used hew holland 6ft and a bus hog hm2008 (same as new Kubota cutters, both are made by kverneland)8 foot disc mowers with very little problems cutting in second or third gear. With the converted 2 point hitch that is on ours We would safer chain to a bracket on the axle to keep the hitch from trying to pull at an angle behind the tractor. To lift the cutter vertical the hitch had to be adjusted to keep from trying to rack sideways. The tractor had plenty of rear to hold it. Tricycle front end 560 was alittle little less stable. The third 560 had 18.4’s on the back and a wide front end. We could bale with both 560 wide front end tractors and would use massy 1550 and 1560 balers both are Vermeer 605 balers with Massey logos. Baling with a 560 in heavy hay would be 2nd gear and 3rd gear in light hay. Sometimes every 560 or 10 bales in heavy hay that wasn’t fully cured we would have to let it cool off alittle when it was over 100 degrees or more outside but it never ran hot. Sorry for the long reply but just wanted to let you know how capable a 560 is. We upgraded to a Kubota m7040 a few years ago for the cab and air. But still use the 560 as needed.