Drywell Install

/ Drywell Install #1  

tomcase580b

Bronze Member
Tractor
case 580b
I have a Case 580b CK my precast guy says my machine can handle putting in my dry wells. Each 8' x 2' ring weighs about 2500 lbs and the deepest I have to go is about 8' the 6' then 4' and so on. I'm kind of nervous that I'll flip the machine with me in it, even if I fill the loader bucket with about 2500 lbs of sand as a counter weight. Has anyone on here done this kind of work with this type of machine?

Thanks
Tom

/ Drywell Install #2  
Sure fill the bucket and tie the front bucket onto the dump truck. keep the hoe close to the hole and drag the rings up around the hole so you do not have to boom out to much to get at them. If you can pick it up on the ground besides you nothing is going to happen when you swing over the hole and boom down. If you can not pick it on flat ground no sense going any further. Why not have the holes ready and let the delivery driver set them?

/ Drywell Install
[QUOTE)Why not have the holes ready and let the delivery driver set them?[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm thinking...

/ Drywell Install #4  
I would certianly have them set in by the driver. If not, I think the hoe should be fine if you keep it close. Can your FEL handle that much weight? Might be an option. It would require long chains I know, but, might be the better option.

/ Drywell Install #5  
A 580 Case backhoe should handle that easily with the FEL and some chains. The hoe would handle it easily also especially if you fill the FEL bucket for counter weight. As said test it on flat ground by picking up and swinging it (make sure the outriggers are firmly planted if using the hoe) I would set the tractor up close to the hole as possible so that the back hoe bucket is able to center in the hole when it is lowered to the depth required then swing over pick up the concrete gently and swing it over.
Remember that if using the hoe, lowering it will cause it to move away from the tractor so that has to be planned in. Much easier to use the FEL to put them in as you can manipulate the bucket so that it travels straight down. I don't know the specs on the 580 but it will do much more than my 70 HP tractor and it lifts 3500# or more, I can lift the front of my 1500 chevy truck with it easily and that weights at least 3500. That 580 has at least double the capacity of my tractor.

/ Drywell Install #6  
Use the loader. Thats alot of weight to be swinging around with the hoe. Maybe take the back bucket off to get a little extra capacity? Try it both ways and see what works better. You can always attach a chain fall in there to get extra length if you use the loader.

/ Drywell Install
thanks for the advise guys...I'm going to talk to a few people here about using the FEL I know that can handle the weight....I'm just leary about lowering that amount of weight into an 8ft deep hole...I don't want to end up in there with it...

/ Drywell Install #8  
8' diameter , 2' tall ? You will never reach it with the loader . 8' deep with 1/1 slope , top of the hole 16 feet wide . 2500# is a real stretch for a B up close with the backhoe . Let alone hanging 8 feet out sitting right on the edge of the hole . You won't need ballast , just keep the loader on the ground so the tractor can't pivot on the front axle , flip . I have set manholes and structures for 15 years , you do not want things going south about the time you get the load over the hole . Iknow you are working with what you have . Iwould suggest an excavator or small crane . Just trying to help .

/ Drywell Install #9  
8' diameter , 2' tall ? You will never reach it with the loader . 8' deep with 1/1 slope , top of the hole 16 feet wide . 2500# is a real stretch for a B up close with the backhoe . Let alone hanging 8 feet out sitting right on the edge of the hole . You won't need ballast , just keep the loader on the ground so the tractor can't pivot on the front axle , flip . I have set manholes and structures for 15 years , you do not want things going south about the time you get the load over the hole . Iknow you are working with what you have . I would suggest an excavator or small crane . Just trying to help .
Or get the guy that is delivering the tiles to set them into the hole for you. A $100.oo cash tip would make him more co-operative.

/ Drywell Install #10  
A 580 Case backhoe should handle that easily with the FEL and some chains. The hoe would handle it easily also especially if you fill the FEL bucket for counter weight. As said test it on flat ground by picking up and swinging it (make sure the outriggers are firmly planted if using the hoe) I would set the tractor up close to the hole as possible so that the back hoe bucket is able to center in the hole when it is lowered to the depth required then swing over pick up the concrete gently and swing it over.
Remember that if using the hoe, lowering it will cause it to move away from the tractor so that has to be planned in. Much easier to use the FEL to put them in as you can manipulate the bucket so that it travels straight down. I don't know the specs on the 580 but it will do much more than my 70 HP tractor and it lifts 3500# or more, I can lift the front of my 1500 chevy truck with it easily and that weights at least 3500. That 580 has at least double the capacity of my tractor.

A Case 580B has a loader lift capacity of 4000lbs at the pins. Not quite double. :rolleyes: