dual tandem gooseneck

/ dual tandem gooseneck #1  

SWinTexas05

Tractor
Kubota M6800
I have not had any replies to the pierced frame question, so I wonder if anyone has opinions on dual tandems in general. I am torn between Tex-nex and Towmaster, the 32 foot trailer will run ~ 6500 dollars stock. The pierced frame and third ramp will put it at ~ 7000. Thank you

/ dual tandem gooseneck #2  
I don't understand what kind of "opinion" you'd want, Simon. Dual tandems are the norm on 18-wheelers and a lot of other trailers that haul heavy loads. Fifth-wheel travel trailers have long been made with single tandems, then with 3 axle singles, and of course the 3 axle singles means some serious side wall stress on tight turns, so recently at least one manufacturer of heavy fifth-wheel travel trailers has come out with 2 axle dual tandems instead.

/ dual tandem gooseneck #3  
Simon,

I just sold my 24K triple gooseneck and I've been admiring the Brute Trailer, made in Texas. They offer a pierced frame option which may just be worth it. I like the 24 + 11 as I'm tired of messing with ramps.

Brute Trailer

/ dual tandem gooseneck #4  
I wonder how many feet of overhang that trailer has. I sold my 34' tandem dual gooseneck, and it had 8' of overhang behind the rear axle. That is plenty,,,, you do not want any more than that or turning a sharp corner could get you in trouble with the tail spin!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I think I'll flip spring assisted ramps for the price difference. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RedDog

/ dual tandem gooseneck #5  
Just what is a " pierced frame " I'm sure I need one. Anybody got a pic?

/ dual tandem gooseneck #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wonder how many feet of overhang that trailer has. I sold my 34' tandem dual gooseneck, and it had 8' of overhang behind the rear axle. That is plenty,,,, you do not want any more than that or turning a sharp corner could get you in trouble with the tail spin!! )</font>

It has 11 feet of tail. They do that so you can have a decent ramp angle. The tail has to swing down aft of the rear axle. I am concerned about that. My current 23' gooseneck is a piece of cake to turn, but only has about 6' aft of the rear most axle.

/ dual tandem gooseneck #7  
I've got a 28' Fleetneck dual tandem flatbed made in Mt. Pleasant, Texas. It has dual 12,000# axles and a 5' dovetail. Best built and finished out trailer I had seen when I bought it 6 yrs ago. I've hauled some big loads and no problems yet.

/ dual tandem gooseneck #8  
jesse, if you don't mind me asking, how much did that rig set you back? Seems like you almost never get one w/o having to add a bunch of stuff you needed anyway to the base price. I have heard good things about the bunch in Mt. Pleasant and I am just up the road in New Boston.

/ dual tandem gooseneck #9  
Thanks for the pierced frame explanation on your other thread. I would take up Dave on checking out Brute. I have seen some of their postings on other websites and I believe they would gladly provide you with honest answers.

My next trailer is going to have some kind of hydraulic tilt deck. No more ramp lifting or tail dragging for me.

/ dual tandem gooseneck #10  
I think it would cost over $7500 now. They really build a quality trailer. If I was having a new one built, I would probably want disc brakes with the electric/hydraulic system. The 12,000# axles also had 235/85R16 tires.