DUCKS UNLIMITED

/ DUCKS UNLIMITED #11  
I agree, ducks need more than just a place to be shot. Even if you do not hunt or fish, you have to give credit to the hunting and fishing lobby for their work in conservation of our environment. We all benefit from that.

/ DUCKS UNLIMITED #12  
DU has many programs that are used with matching funds to preserve wetland habitats especially in Canada where lots of ducks go to nest.
Perhaps the previous owner had work done with DU funding or maybe he just hung a DU sign near his duckhole??
Are there any restrictions in your deed? If not there should not be any obligation on your part for access or hunting rights, double check that there are no such restrictions.

/ DUCKS UNLIMITED #13  
As I understand it, they raise funds and actually purchase wetlands to accomplish their goals.
Now perhaps that is only true in breading grounds.

On the other hand many municipalities now have in place regulations that protect waterfronts and wetlands.
In our province (Quebec) a house needs a 30 meter setback and the first 10 meters of waterfront must remain wild except for a passageway and a mere 10 meters of 'usable beach' however no sand may be introduced. All very strict and subject to fines. We also have environmental police (fish and game) that enforce these laws.
On my lake they went door to door and conducted an actual survey and a few folks received nasty letters with appropriate fines being threatened.
On one of my properties I actually had to plant seedlings and natural flora to satisfy them.
There is one property of 30 acres that has a stream running diagonally and some boggy areas thru it that is deemed non build able due the the restrictive setbacks.

/ DUCKS UNLIMITED #14  
Inaccurate IMO. True, most members of that organization are hunters, but the purpose is to:

... It's about more than just hunting.

True, DU does a lot of good things to promote conservation and maintain/improve habitats (which benefits a LOT of different species) but.... in the end it's all about increasing the duck populations so there will be more ducks for them to hunt. Think about the name pronounced backwards: "unlimited ducks".

That's jmho, which may not totally accurate. I'm not saying that's a bad thing either. I'm a deer & turkey hunter myself so I'm totally in favor of programs and organizations that increase the numbers of those two species.

/ DUCKS UNLIMITED #15  
To get work done on private land you got to have DEEP pockets and put the money in the right hands. Most of DU supporters are the working folks that got to the local banquets and buy raffle tickets, bid on silent and live auction items that are either purchased through DU or donated by local merchants. It is all about the money and DU needs lots of it to keep the conservation efforts on going. Many times DU partners with State and Federal agencies to split the cost on public land for habitat improvements

/ DUCKS UNLIMITED #16  
DOSE any one have anything to say about ducks unlimited ..good or bad . just bought land that they have there sign on the property ...its a project in the swamp ... any thing to watch out for or ask for will be appreciated guys thanks:eek:....:2cents:
------------------------------------------
Here in NW Wisconsin there are a lot of swamps of all manor......
As far as when I had fields, pastures, swamps etc. The state DNR was more of a problem than anyone else. They have a ton of regulations on how you can't fill, farm too close to or inhibit any thing they deem a "water way" and about another million rules for most everything it seemed......... Some of the things they did seemed plenty stupid, some nothing more than common sense...... Governments are a lot alike in many ways..........

If there are no covenants, or other restrictions that came with the abstract and or title insurance on your place, I can only guess you are under no obligation to DU on that property..... Maybe a previous owner had an agreement with them to not disturb it to the benefit of wildlife. If DU or any one else says anything, you might qualify for tax or other incentives to leave the land for habitat. Nothing ventured, nothing gained..... It might be worth looking into....

Good luck

/ DUCKS UNLIMITED #17  
DU does some great work for wetlands and waterfowl. I would talk with them, lots of great folks.

/ DUCKS UNLIMITED #18  
.88 cents of every dollar we raise gos back into the ground. I'd say that's pretty good when you look at a lot of other non profits. True it is so there are more ducks to hunt. But it is a lot deeper. It's so my kids and their kids will be able to enjoy it during their lifetime.

Where I grew up and hunted is all houses now. Makes me sick to see. Without organizations like this what will be left?