Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube #11  
I think I would just collapse the tube inwards and use a pair of needle nose vise grips to pull it out.Almost any inward bend is going to loose it up if it would just pull straight out.
David from jax

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube #13  
If you use the tap method, put heavy bearing grease in the flutes before using it. That way most or all of the chips will stay in the grease instead of going down the tube.

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube #14  
In my auto repair life, I had the pleasure of removing 3 broken clean at the surface dipstick tubes. Two were removed from the top, always start there, the other I had to remove the oilpan and tap up and out.
One from the top I used a screw in and pull method, the other it didn't work and had to pean an edge over and grab with tiny needlenose visegrip.

always start with the least tear down.

good luck....

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube #15  
Thanks Jerry, I forgot to mention that. Would also like to know how it went. Getting the tube out from the top is of course best. Most of our oil pans require removong also the driveshaft to the front wheel drive. Mo werk, Mo werk, Mo werk......:p

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube #16  
Here is what I did,
drain the oil
stick a small wire down the dipstick hole and out the oilpan drain hole
use a small punch and hammer and drive the tube thru
and it will slide down the wire and out the drain hole.

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube #17  
AV8R62 said:
Here is what I did,
drain the oil
stick a small wire down the dipstick hole and out the oil pan drain hole
use a small punch and hammer and drive the tube thru
and it will slide down the wire and out the drain hole.

WoW!! That is way too easy and efficient
thanks for great tip
Jim

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube #18  
I've retrieved a broken dipstick with a magnet on the end of a telescoping rod, thru the oil drain hole.. i believe the same cound be done with the dipstick tube once it is in the pan.. though i like the wire idea.

As for installing the new one.. to the original poster.. if the new tube doesn't fit snugly, 2 ideas..

1, stake the hole after you put the tube in.. that is.. take a small sharp punch and put a series of 'dots' aroundt he new tube.. this should expand the CI out a bit to hold the tube. If no goodthen:
2, clean the hole ID and tube OD good with carb cleaner ( drain oil!! ).. and then use loctite sleave and bearing retainer and install tube.. i think i would also stake it in with the punch after that too..

refill oil and go after loctite cured....

post your technique used and results back. and good luck.. we are all counting on you.

Soundguy

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube
Well, I haven't had time to give it a try just yet. I've been mowing, raking and baling with just the shop towel keeping it down. I'm going to try to fix it now with a bolt and give it a pull.
By the way, I first tried the Needle nose pliers technique and didn't do anything. I know, I couldn't believe it either. Its really tight in there.
So, here goes with the bolt idea, let you all know soon.

/ Dumb thing to break: Dipstick Tube #20  
Just remember one thing, you don't want it in your oil pan if it don't fit out the drain hole
And AV8R62
idea with a wire and a just slip it out the drain hole is a great idea, I will NOT forget that one and thanks
Jim
:)