Dump Cylinder sizing

/ Dump Cylinder sizing #1  

Steve_Miller

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 Kioti CK30HST
I'm in the process of building a dump trailer and I'm not convinced a three inch cylinder will dump what I have built. Is there a calculation that I can use to figure out the starting force I will need at the bottom end? If so, I can post a few dimensions and pictures to help figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. The cylinder I want to use is 3" dia by 30" stroke (gives me approx 55-60 degree dump angle), the bed is 61" wide by 102" long, the hinge is centered 10.5" from the back, the pivot for the cylinder is 53" from the dump end of the box and 9" vertically lower than the box frame. Did I miss anything? My tractor produces about 2500psi, so that equates to about 8 1/2 tons of force on a 3" cylinder

Thanks a million
Steve

Attachments

• Trailer pictures 002.jpg
    Trailer pictures 002.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 179
  • Trailer pictures 003.jpg
    Trailer pictures 003.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 164
  • Trailer pictures 006.jpg
    Trailer pictures 006.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 177
   / Dump Cylinder sizing #2  
I think so. A 3 in cyl with 1.5 in shaft, at 2500 psi will have a push force of 17,671 lbs

At 45 degrees, the push force is still about 12,496 lbs

/ Dump Cylinder sizing
Thanks J_J, the starting angle will be about 10 degrees, what force would that equate to? Do you think it will push up a two ton load?

Steve

/ Dump Cylinder sizing #4  
You will have about 3,069 lbs. of push force You could go up to a 4 in cyl, and at 10 degrees, will have about 5,455 lbs of push force.

/ Dump Cylinder sizing
J_j, is there a chart or calculation that would tell me what force is available at certain angles? I could lower the cylinder pivot to get a better angle?

Thanks Again
Steve

/ Dump Cylinder sizing #6  
Is it possible to use a trunnion mount cylinder, to get a more advantageous initial lift angle.... a 30" stroke cylinder is taking 36"-38" of space...personally I would go with a trunnion mount teleskopic cylinder.....long stroke, short retracted....but I assume that wont fit in the budget.....LOL...

/ Dump Cylinder sizing
Is it possible to use a trunnion mount cylinder, to get a more advantageous initial lift angle.... a 30" stroke cylinder is taking 36"-38" of space...personally I would go with a trunnion mount teleskopic cylinder.....long stroke, short retracted....but I assume that wont fit in the budget.....LOL...

I looked those and yes they are $$$

Steve

/ Dump Cylinder sizing #10  
I saw a dump trailer at a local trailer store today, that somebody had overloaded, and tried to dump. The twin cylinders appeared to have moved something, but it wasn't the load. Instead of lifting the load, they just pushed the frame away from the load. So if your going to increase the lift strenght, make sure the frame will handle what they cylinders are putting out.
David from jax