Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck

/ Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck #11  
I have the two-ton 4'x8' tandem axle model. It comes set up to allow the addition of a cylinder, which I did. It works well for what I use it for, mostly hauling boards from the sawmill and firewood.

The side stakes aren't the heaviest so it might not be best choice for hauling dirt or stones unless you only do partial loads.

/ Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck #12  
How about using the dump trailer behind a pickup and use the tractor to load it? Seems a pickup if you have one would be better suited for towing than a small tractor.

About the dump trailers I would look for a good used one. I found this 14x6.5x2' 14,000lb PJ three years old for about $4000. Very good shape except for the lid on the front box. I pull this with an F550 when fully loaded but can still use it with a 3/4 ton with a lighter payload. The larger tires would help alot with floatation in a field making it easier to pull. This would be much safer than using a small tractor with a dump trailer.

I would recommend trying to find a 5x12 used dump trailer for this work.

/ Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck #13  
How about using the dump trailer behind a pickup and use the tractor to load it? Seems a pickup if you have one would be better suited for towing than a small tractor.

Sure, if your truck is a one ton, 4WD, with 33" tires, and your property is wide open to drive around on. In my case I'll be following generally narrow trails through muddy terrain.

Oh, and I don't have a truck. haha.

/ Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck

About the dump trailers I would look for a good used one. I found this 14x6.5x2' 14,000lb PJ three years old for about $4000. Very good shape except for the lid on the front box. I pull this with an F550 when fully loaded but can still use it with a 3/4 ton with a lighter payload. The larger tires would help alot with floatation in a field making it easier to pull. This would be much safer than using a small tractor with a dump trailer.

I would recommend trying to find a 5x12 used dump trailer for this work.

And if i buy an on road trailer it would be something like this.The only way i can justify it is to be able to haul the BX around too.

However its ALOT of trailer for around the house. Too big in honest assessment. And too heavy to be pulled by the BX, so that leaves moving it with the truck. That's going to make for 40' of truck and trailer to snake around the property.

I think im down to either the bought off road trailers or perhaps building my own.

Still no word on the auction results.

/ Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck #15  
I have a 3 yard off road dump I up-graded to on road use (lights, Lic). I found going to pick up dirt, gravel and mulch at the local Nursery as needed, to be a useful option. I may still replace the one large heavy duty axle with two axles for safety on the road. I also have looked at trading it in on a road-able dump but have not made a decision yet.
If I were you,,,, I'd get something I could take down the road. You should be able to find something used for little cost.
My trailer is 4X8 with about 36 inch sides.

Last edited:
   / Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck #16  
I work in tight quarters all the time, if you can park the truck and trailer 100 ft away from your "tight quarters work site" that still beats running up the trails and road with a bucket full at a time.

I have already tried the scenario where you have a small trailer the little tractors can handle, not much capacity. Besides, you need the tractor free of the trailer to load it.

/ Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck #17  
1*How about using the dump trailer behind a pickup and use the tractor to load it?
2*Seems a pickup if you have one would be better suited for towing than a small tractor.

3*I am having similar thoughts about dump trailer acquisition for moving dirt piles around on my land.
I*I put a load handler in this.
Then loaded it with this
2*It's even better if you can haul the dirt in a pick up rather than using a trailer .
3*I loaded this truck 35 times with my BX and drove 5 miles hauling and dumping it.
Worked much slicker than a trailer.

/ Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck #18  
Here is what I made for my BX2660. Its 3'3" X 6'5" with 17" sides. I have had it over filled with gravel and sand, dumps good but it is all the weight I think I would want to pull with the bx. It pulled just fine, but if on hills the stopping might be trouble (haven't tried yet.)
In picyure #6 you can see where I put another draw bar up higher so the trailer would be level. The tires are the ones I'm going to use, but the off set in the wheels are way off, so I have to find different wheels.
The trailers with the wheels under bed is to high for the BX's

Attachments

• BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 001aa.jpg
    BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 001aa.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 131
  • BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 002a.jpg
    BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 002a.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 103
  • BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 003a.jpg
    BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 003a.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 135
  • BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 004a.jpg
    BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 004a.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 125
  • BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 005a.jpg
    BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 005a.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 145
  • BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 006a.jpg
    BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 006a.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 149
  • BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 007a.jpg
    BX Dump Trailer and Baby Chicks 007a.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 125
   / Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck #19  
Leejohn, That is a great looking trailer and the perfect size for the BX. Do you have to shut the engine down to connect/disconnect the hydraulic lines? I'm asking because I plan on building a 4x8 dump trailer for my B7800. That being my only tractor I plan on diving up to material (manure, rocks, firewood, ect.) disconnect hoses, unhook, load trailer using the tractor, re-hook trailer and drive away to dump site. I hope I would be able to connect/disconnect the lines without having to shut off the engine.

/ Dump for tractor vs. dump for truck
Just received an email for the sale amount on that worn out Pronovost trailer $750 :laughing: Im betting it was bought without seeing it in person, as i was at the viewing and there was only one other guy there who was not interested after seeing it.

Goes to show there is one born every minute, for comparison , I bid $250, and i thought that was too much considering all the repairs required.