Dump trailer foor steel gauge.

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge. #1  

Ronster

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520, John Deere X739, Kubota U27-4, Kubota RTV 500
I am looking to buy a 7000# dump trailer. I wanted to pull the trigger on a Big Tex 70SR, but it looks like it has a 16 gauge steel floor. Is that too light of material for a 5'x10' dump trailer? I want to haul a small excavator +/- 4000# and mostly mulch dirt and some rock.
Thanks

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge. #2  
That's a light duty trailer.. I don't see ramps offered for it.......

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge. #3  
The load of a excavator will be spread over a area. So the cross members and frame work for such a item is what’s important. Same for dirt and gravel more than likely. If your going to dump or drop in large rocks, chunks of concrete, etc then your likely to get some dents and dings in the floor and perhaps the walls. A temporary layer of plywood in the bottom for distribution of the impact of such items being dropped in the bed would be a good idea.

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge. #4  
I don't think I'd go for anything lighter than 10ga, slightly thicker than 1/8", a lot would depend on the spacing of the bunks also. I wouldn't even consider 16ga for anything. ..........Mike

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge. #5  
If they do offer ramps. Be sure the ramp can support +/- 4000 lbs. I called Lamar, just to make sure years ago.

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge. #6  
If they do offer ramps. Be sure the ramp can support +/- 4000 lbs. I called Lamar, just to make sure years ago.
Some offer a longer ramp option. Look into that. Loading a mini ex on a smaller dump trailer with steep ramps can cause a pucker effect. :eek:
I’d want at least a 10g floor. A 16g floor will dent too easily.

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge.
Thanks for all the replies. I'll look for something with a heavier floor. Hard to find small trailers in the NE right now.I think there are lots of people doing projects.

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge. #8  
B0E2DDCC-0196-4698-B227-BFACDDAA988A.jpeg93BA705A-ECA0-41DB-9FAB-BDA57A92D599.jpeg

I just picked up this one - it's a 10K 6X12 - 10ga floor and sides - I wouldn't want anything less to haul compacts - I went with the 10K to stay under cdl and use with my ½ ton - it's just homeowner so more than enough - some trailers were tough to get due to factory shut downs - but are starting to show up.

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge.
That looks like what I want. 10 ga. floor and all.

/ Dump trailer foor steel gauge. #10  
View attachment 661018View attachment 661022

I just picked up this one - it's a 10K 6X12 - 10ga floor and sides - I wouldn't want anything less to haul compacts - I went with the 10K to stay under cdl and use with my ス ton - it's just homeowner so more than enough - some trailers were tough to get due to factory shut downs - but are starting to show up.

REP trailer nice people to deal with I bought two trailers from them..........