Dump trailer hydraulics

/ Dump trailer hydraulics #11  
The hose with the hose clamp is not a pressure hose, and that is where your breather should be, which is also the filler cap. Where does that hose run? maybe it was a way for the last guy to fill the reservoir remotely with the bed down?

/ Dump trailer hydraulics #12  
Are you saying to lower the bed and fill full. This would be hard to do because the bed covers the unit,,, but I could figure out a way

Is your trailer power up / power down or power up / gravity down?
I only see one relay in your pic so guessing it a power up only unit.
If it is power up / gravity down then you don't need that extra hose going back to the tank. Fluid will return through the pressure up hose when the handle (or pressure release) is set to lower. Remove and plug the cylinder where that hose goes.

/ Dump trailer hydraulics #13  
I would think the reservoir only needs to hold enough to displace the cylinder rod when fully raised, most of these cylinders are double acting with the fluid on both sides of the piston. If it were me I would add a small amount at a time to prevent a big spill.

/ Dump trailer hydraulics #14  
The 2 hoses confuse me. Is it a double acting cylinder and the clamped on hose is attached to the top side of the cylinder as an additional reservoir? If that is the case, shouldn't he be able to raise the bed, and then add fluid via the clamped hose connection, run it up some more, add more until he reaches the full dump position. Huh?

/ Dump trailer hydraulics
There is a hose going to each end of the ram, I think, but for sure both hoses go to the ram.

The hose hookup on the lifting end of the ram has a clamp like the clamped one on the pump

Is your trailer power up / power down or power up / gravity down?
I only see one relay in your pic so guessing it a power up only unit.
If it is power up / gravity down then you don't need that extra hose going back to the tank. Fluid will return through the pressure up hose when the handle (or pressure release) is set to lower. Remove and plug the cylinder where that hose goes.
Not sure. It has a button. up and down on the hand held... but not sure if it is gravity. How would I know? If I release the down button, it stops

/ Dump trailer hydraulics #18  
The hose hookup on the lifting end of the ram has a clamp like the clamped one on the pump

That's an accident waiting to happen. If that hose clamp lets go and the hose blows off the cylinder the box will come down real quick.

/ Dump trailer hydraulics #19  
I think we need a photo of the cylinder and a plumping diagram of the hoses to get a full understanding of his system.

Here is another pic. It shows the hose with a clamp at the top

Attachments

• 101_1205.jpg
    101_1205.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 221