Dump trailer peoblem

/ Dump trailer peoblem #11  
PMSMechanic is right of course, there are both intermittent duty, usually used for starter motors and things that draw a lot of current near instantly but for short periods. Their coil winding is heavy gauge and the coil itself draws much more current than that of a continuous duty relay/contactor/solenoid. A continuous duty contactor will have a coil with finer windings and higher resistance than that of the intermittent duty contactor. Continuous duty contactors are used in golf carts etc.

Problem with using an intermittent duty relay or contactor for continuous duty is that it's coil will overheat. This will likely result in damage to the coil insulation, or may melt insulating components like contact standoffs etc. Not really a good idea.

bumper

/ Dump trailer peoblem
Ok, so I came home with a solenoid for a '00s 7.3L Power Smoke.

I told them exactly what I was doing with it and that was what they came up with. Usually you're on your own with electronics after the sale but they stressed that if it didn't work to bring it back. I guess it's worth the waisted $15 to them to be able to sell the next guy the correct part the first time. IDK...

Now I'm scared to use it. So I called o'Reilly Auto and they came up with a Borg-Warner designed for continuous use. It's $25 and should be in early in the morning.

Thanks to each of you for trying to help a feller out! :thumbsup:

/ Dump trailer peoblem #13  
Napa usually has solenoids in stock that are for continuous duty , just specify what you want.

if most napa are like the one in my city.. unless you have a part number.. the counter moron can't help you.. unless he has a grey beard... if he does you MIGHT be in luck. Mine is constanly out of their 'napa know how' apparently...

/ Dump trailer peoblem #14  
Problem with using an intermittent duty relay or contactor for continuous duty is that it's coil will overheat. This will likely result in damage to the coil insulation, or may melt insulating components like contact standoffs etc. Not really a good idea.

bumper

how many times do you think the user of a dump cart is gonna run that thing up and down per use? :)

Most of them 'ready 12v hyd' units ALSO have a very, very limited duty cycle and are not rated for continous use.. I kinda have my doubts the hd starter solenoid is gonna be the bottleneck.. ;) :)

/ Dump trailer peoblem #15  
Can a dump trailer solenoid be replaced using a remote automotive type solenoid?

It's on a Carry On 10' trailer but can't remember the name of the power pack.

Pics to follow.

From the photos, run down to Napa and get a Ford style starter solenoid. Randomly ask for one from a 1981 F150 with a 300 straight 6. You may need to mess a bit mounting it but it should not be hard to do.

/ Dump trailer peoblem #16  
Ok, so I came home with a solenoid for a '00s 7.3L Power Smoke.

I told them exactly what I was doing with it and that was what they came up with. Usually you're on your own with electronics after the sale but they stressed that if it didn't work to bring it back. I guess it's worth the waisted $15 to them to be able to sell the next guy the correct part the first time. IDK...

Now I'm scared to use it. So I called o'Reilly Auto and they came up with a Borg-Warner designed for continuous use. It's $25 and should be in early in the morning.

Thanks to each of you for trying to help a feller out! :thumbsup:

Yup. I should read the whole thread before blurting out a replay.

Someday. :eek:

/ Dump trailer peoblem #17  
Yup. I should read the whole thread before blurting out a replay.

Someday. :eek:

for what' it's worth.. I agree with your post. A hd ford style solenoid liek that is very likely going to work fine...

/ Dump trailer peoblem #18  
if most napa are like the one in my city.. unless you have a part number.. the counter moron can't help you.. unless he has a grey beard... if he does you MIGHT be in luck. Mine is constanly out of their 'napa know how' apparently...

NAPA, at Minden, NV never has more than 1 or 2 customers at a time. Always seems to be a minimum of 7 guys spaced evenly up and down their counter, any of whom can be counted on to be a veritable cesspool of superfluous knowledge, able to answer any question about dang near anything. Boggles the mind how they could possible turn a profit what with labor costs.

But don't try Radio Trash, their motto is, "You have questions, we have blank stares!".

bumper

/ Dump trailer peoblem #19  
Today I went to a local NAPA store for a set of plug wires for an '86 Chevy pickup with a 350 V8. "None in stock we would have to order those."

/ Dump trailer peoblem #20  
NAPA, at Minden, NV never has more than 1 or 2 customers at a time. Always seems to be a minimum of 7 guys spaced evenly up and down their counter, any of whom can be counted on to be a veritable cesspool of superfluous knowledge, able to answer any question about dang near anything. Boggles the mind how they could possible turn a profit what with labor costs.

But don't try Radio Trash, their motto is, "You have questions, we have blank stares!".

bumper

back when radio shack used to have a wall of small packages of electronics parts.. they had people that knew about them.. nowadays they sell phones and don't know very much..