Dump trailer project

/ Dump trailer project #1  

andy1981

Silver Member
Tractor
two John Deere 4720, John Deere 350b dozer, bobcat 435 excavator, 87 f600 dump truck
I picked up a homemade dump wagon made from an old f350 with a mason dump from a friend that had no use for it anymore. It needs some tlc but will work for my needs wich will be for firewood hauling and hauling gravel into the woods for maintaining trails. I've wanted to purchase a tandem walking beam dump trailer like the ones made by John bm or pronovost but just can't justify the cost. I got it home yesterday afternoon and today I flushed the hyd oil out of the cylinder and got the same fluid in it as my tractor uses. Then I got what was left of the floor cut out so I can fix some rusted out cross members on the dump body.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 726
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 921
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 633
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 3,842
   / Dump trailer project #3  
That is going to be one nice unit when you get it fix up.

/ Dump trailer project #4  
That will be real nice. Usually that set up will have the bed very close to center over the axle. Just be careful the first few time dumping heavy loads, you may have negative tongue weight towards the end of the dump cycle and/or with sticky material and be in for a suprise with a lighter tractor. (in relation to your load)

/ Dump trailer project
Thanks for the advice rusty, I will have to remember that the first time , I do have loaded tires so that should help a little.

/ Dump trailer project #6  
Looks like the axle is in a decent spot, plus the tongue looks nice and long.

First time I dumped a heavy load of sticky material in my 16ft dump I thought the back of the truck was going to come off the ground when it finally let loose and the load shifted.

/ Dump trailer project #7  
That's a nice little setup. My dad had one on the farm when I was a kid made out of an old single axle dump truck, really handy and you just hook up to it with a tractor. You don't have to worry about maintaining another truck. One thing though, please block the hoist when your working under it. There are a few stories from people close to me most were close calls but one cut the guy in half, It was a large end dump but still I've seen how fast they can drop and it is scary.

/ Dump trailer project
I have a 4x4 that I have notches cut in the ends that I put between the dump box and trailer frame. I was always taught to never work under anything just trusting the hydraulics or a jack.
I'm just trying to decide if I should replace the bad crossmembers that the floor was welded to, then put a new wood or steel floor in it, or if I should rebuild the whole body and make removable sides with stake pockets or fold down sides.

/ Dump trailer project #9  
I would love to have one that size. Here is one I borrowed for a larger job.

Attachments

• 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 1,015
   / Dump trailer project
Well this afternoon I spent about an hour power washing the trailer, its going need some work on the spring hangers they got some rot from years of being packed full of dirt and moisture and a few other spots were there are some rust holes, but nothing that seems to be compromising the strength of the overall structure