Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer

/ Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer #1  

Lineman North Florida

Veteran Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 360 DTC with FEL & John Deere 5093E with FEL ,Kubota SVL 75-2
I will be retiring in a few months and want to buy a skid steer with a heavy duty rotary cutter, I also want to purchase a grapple and dump trailer to do some work with, out of conveneince of hauling the skid steer and being able to use the dump trailer on the same jobsite I have been looking at dump trailers with ramps, but they sure don't look stout enough to put 9 or 10 k on them without bending or bowing, I realize that lessening the degree of angle would make loading it easier but I just wonder about the strength of the ramps. Just some more info I am looking at a 16' low profile dump trailer with 2' sides probably gooseneck and probably upgrade to 2- 8k axles , I already have a 20' equipment trailer bumper pull with 2- 7k axles and a 25+5 gooseneck with pierced deck that I could haul it on but the gooseneck will be tough to get into some of the places that I would need to go, so I'm interested in some info from you guys with experience on some of this. Thanks. Charlie.

/ Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer #2  
With two former and two current dumps, I have had no problems loading my Bobcat loader, 9k without and 10k with, my extra counter weights.

50839880_2257111937642693_8377905903571042304_n.jpg

/ Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer #3  
My dump trailer ramps are like 3” channel sides with a 1x1/4” bar welded up the sides. They’re heavy to handle but they’ve not bent. I hate handling them. This is 10x easier.
IMG_0287.JPG

/ Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer
With two former and two current dumps, I have had no problems loading my Bobcat loader, 9k without and 10k with, my extra counter weights.

View attachment 707077
Well it sounds like I shouldn't have any trouble, do you load your skid steer backwards in the dump trailer or drive it in and back it off?

/ Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer #5  
Well it sounds like I shouldn't have any trouble, do you load your skid steer backwards in the dump trailer or drive it in and back it off?

A dump trailer usually has the axels farther back than a regular trailer. And a skid steer is back heavy. You’ll probably need to drive in to keep the weight distribution right.

My dump trailer ramps are like 3” channel sides with a 1x1/4” bar welded up the sides. They’re heavy to handle but they’ve not bent. I hate handling them. This is 10x easier. View attachment 707094
Yeah those are nice especially loading things with tracks, but for now I am going to have to make due with my existing trailers and the dump trailer that I am going to get.

/ Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer #7  
I would make a small hill with a flat retaining wall so you can back the dump trailer up to it and drive the skid steer right on without ramps. Won't help you loading and unloading at your destination, but will make it easy when you are leaving or getting back home.

My FIL transports his tractor on his 12' 10K dump trailer. It works, but results in a tongue heavy load since you can't position the tractor how you want in the dump trailer. Loader bucket goes over the front wall and backhoe behind the rear wall.

We just bought a 20' equipment trailer and it makes trailer the tractor much easier.

/ Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer #8  
Depending on the size of the skid, a 16’ still doesn’t allow for much extra room. I’ve had a CTL, in mine, and it eats the space. As far as ramps, I ordered the “HD ramp package” on my Diamond C. Instead of a channel frame, it uses a tubing frame. It also increases the thickness of the ramp mounts.

CB78BCA2-CB98-4DC7-A86A-5F07E7C1D250.jpeg

3914F017-936B-42FC-B246-8F81D82973F9.jpeg

C7731208-F629-4681-868B-D17B7FCEF454.jpeg

Depending on the size of the skid, a 16’ still doesn’t allow for much extra room. I’ve had a CTL, in mine, and it eats the space. As far as ramps, I ordered the “HD ramp package” on my Diamond C. Instead of a channel frame, it uses a tubing frame. It also increases the thickness of the ramp mounts.

View attachment 707383

View attachment 707384

View attachment 707385
Those appear to be stout for sure, I talked to the owner of the trailer manufacturer that I am looking at and he told me as long as I don't go with anything above 12k pounds I would be fine, he said they are rated at 6k per ramp.

/ Dump trailer ramps strength for loading skid steer #10  
My 14k gooseneck trailer ramps are hydraulic powered. :D
See how it works, click this: Compact telehandler

P9080006.JPG
P9090006.JPG