Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans?

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #31  
Here's the dump on my truck. IMG_0672.JPG

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #32  
I found the photo below on a Cub Cadet forum, and took the measurements for my pivot points, then beefed it up. If you do a google search you should find it

214669.jpg

I have a small 7 foot trailer that I have loaded with more weight than i want to pull in it. it works great

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #33  
I got the plans from these folks for $22, paid up and downloaded the PDF immediately, printed them out.

Good plans, well documented and explained, clear drawings. WELL worth the $22.

Moving the lift back would require major re-engineering of the main frame and bed frame to relocate the mounting points. Not worth the hassle/expense. If anything, I'll put a longer stroke cylinder on it.

In reality, I'll likely just live with it. I don't move wet stuff very often and ANYTHING is better than shoveling...:laughing:

If I asked you where is Downeast Maine, what would you answer. My wife, and I bought a building lot on the water in Quaddy Village in Eastport in 1987. 20 Years later we accepted no house was likely to be built, and sold.

I have a dump truck, a 1976 Chevy C65. 27500 GVWR, it has a gas 427 truck engine. It's OK but is a criminal gas hog, the frame of the truck is a rust concern. I want to upgrade. I bought a GMC Top Kick fire truck with very low miles, and hours. It is beautiful!

Plan A was to put the present dump (flatbed 14' rack body) on the newer truck. A number of minor differences in the trucks would require changes in the dump. It has two single action telescopic cylinders that seep a bit of oil.

It occurs to me a new body built for the new truck would be more to my liking. Looking at kits on the market, I find little information is available before I order. I need to dump a payload of 14000 LBS from a 15' long body with 2' overhang. I see scissor with pump kits at favorable prices, but I want good quality that will work.

The plans you used aren't heavy enough for my application. Is there a heavier one?

Oh, I am a capable welder/fabricator, but not much of an engineer.

Willie

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #34  
I built a lift based off those plans. To some extent they are the only game in town, so if you really want to build a scissor lift, buy 'em. Overall they are good plans, only some minor things about them that I disagreed with.

View attachment 527780

The lift angle did worry me, so I built a 3D model in SolidWorks, stretched the design out and used a 12" instead of 10" cylinder. Then positioned it on my trailer to give me something absurd like 60 degrees of tilt. I suspect if I built it to the plans exactly, it still would have been fine though.

View attachment 527781

The big downside I found in those plans, was the design of the mounting points. I built it to the plans, and then had to struggle real hard to design matching mount points on my trailer. If I had to do it again, I'd pay real close attention to the mounts, and do them completely differently.

In practice though with it all done, it's works great. With a 3.5" cylinder, it doesn't even notice there is a load in the bed, no matter how heavy. Limiting factor becomes the rating on my tires.

Only other thing I'd say is consider the time factor. The commercial lifts aren't cheap, but a month fab'ing a scissor lift in your spare time isn't cheap either. Definitely not an option for a person in a hurry.

Go big and add a set of dual tires on it! :laughing:

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #35  
IMG_0277.JPG026.JPG

It has duals already. Fire truck will become dump truck to replace this.

Willie

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans?
Whoa...blast from the past! :)

Willie, exactly where "Downeast" starts depends on where you're from. Around here, it is generally accepted that anything East of the Hancock/Sullivan bridge on Route 1 is Downeast. Others will tell you it doesn't start until the Washington County line. Eastport definitely qualifies!

I don't know about heavier plans for a scissors dump that'll handle 7 tons. I'd want somebody WAY more qualified than me designing it for sure.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #37  
As I progress in my research, a company in Arizona sells kits including electric pump, and scissor mechanism. These hoists are built in Texas. I could buy direct, but shipping factored, it works out to be cheaper to buy from Johnson Trailer Parts.

Eastport is an amazing place. Mid eighties there was a major time of property sales. Countless buildings were under renovation. Quaddy Village, on the end facing the mainland was built in the Depression by US Navy Construction Battalion. It was housing for the workers on the Quaddy Tides Hydro Project. When Congress failed to renew funding for the project, jobs suddenly ended. It has been virtually a ghost town since. I'm accustomed to beautiful waterfront building lots selling for millions, or if on a lake, hundreds of thousands. In Eastport, we bought waterfront property with power, water, and sewer for $5000. In youth everything seems possible, but the distance from VT proved overwhelming to use as a vacation place.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #38  
As I progress in my research, a company in Arizona sells kits including electric pump, and scissor mechanism. These hoists are built in Texas. I could buy direct, but shipping factored, it works out to be cheaper to buy from Johnson Trailer Parts.

/ Dump Trailer - Scissors Hoist - Plans? #40