Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #11  
single cylinder scissor is the best way to go in a 7 ton trailer. you can carry a 7 ton load on a good trailer.some trailers are rated for a 5000 lb gooseneck and 14000 lb axle.the scissor i have will lift higher and more than the cylinder one i had.

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift
Thank you all for the great replies and I appreciate the input. I'm going to stop by the Suretrac dealer today to have a look. I'm also going to ask around for more brands in the area and see what I find.

I am a little concerned now regarding battery life with these units from other posts I recently read. I intend to use the trailer for personal use and not daily work so hopefully dead batteries won't be a big issue. Otherwise a used dump body and an equipment trailer. I was hoping not to go that route in that I have a newer F350 diesel I can pull with and the dump trailer could double as an equipment trailer for tractor hauling etc.

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #13  
All of the dual cylinder hoists I have seen on grain trucks were driven off a common manifold or wye. That does little to keep the bed from twisting. Kinda like squeezing a balloon. If you squeeze one end harder than the other, the other gets bigger.

Dave

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #14  
Thank you all for the great replies and I appreciate the input. I'm going to stop by the Suretrac dealer today to have a look. I'm also going to ask around for more brands in the area and see what I find.

I am a little concerned now regarding battery life with these units from other posts I recently read. I intend to use the trailer for personal use and not daily work so hopefully dead batteries won't be a big issue. Otherwise a used dump body and an equipment trailer. I was hoping not to go that route in that I have a newer F350 diesel I can pull with and the dump trailer could double as an equipment trailer for tractor hauling etc.

I have a 2002 BriMar 6x10 with the 10K axles, and single cylinder similar to DMACE and it works fine for private use. Would be a little slow for daily commercial use. Another way of thinking on the paint is that you if you use the dump for rocks, firewood, and rental house cleanup like I do the paint is going to get trashed. I no longer worry about it.

For private use I think my insurance is $60/year. Liability is extended from the truck. Compared to maintaining and insuring a small dump truck I think this is a drop in the bucket.

I usually throw mine on the trickle charger overnight after I use it, seems to be OK for 3 or 4 loads. It is also setup to charge on the 7 wire plug on my trucks but do not always go far enough when hauling firewood to know if it is getting charged.

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #15  
Stay way from electric up and down systems. Going down takes forever and the pump wears out twice as fast. I had one in my 1 ton and got rid of it.

The manufacturer of my tilt deck has gone out of business so I have to do the conversion to a dump box myself. I'm not clear on what you mean here. Are you saying to stay away from a double acting cylinder and pump, or to stay away from electric over hydraulic?

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #16  
The manufacturer of my tilt deck has gone out of business so I have to do the conversion to a dump box myself. I'm not clear on what you mean here. Are you saying to stay away from a double acting cylinder and pump, or to stay away from electric over hydraulic?

He is saying go power up and gravity down. Using a electric pump for down will cut your cycles in 1/2 per battery charge.

Most I have seen use double acting cylinders so that it dampens the downward cycle.

Chris

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #17  
We use some welder stinger cable to run a wire from the truck battery to the back and a piece to run to frame ground. We connect them to forklift battery connector plugs - one on the truck and the mate on the trailer. The one on the truck hangs near the hitch and the one on the trailer is long enough to reach without being stressed.

When we use the lift or a winch, we plug it in and keep the truck running.

Works great.

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #18  
He is saying go power up and gravity down. Using a electric pump for down will cut your cycles in 1/2 per battery charge.

Most I have seen use double acting cylinders so that it dampens the downward cycle.

Chris

I have a 6x10 5 ton ezdumper it has power down, there was some advantage the salesman was telling me about but I can't remember.
Maybe because it's also has the ramps and d-rings like an equipment hauler, it's safer to pull that bed down tight?

As far as charging, I only had to charge mine a couple of times in six years, must get a good charge from the truck.

Mine only has the single cylinder, I was going to get the 12 footer, but they didn't have it in stock and I was so anxious I couldn't wait. The 12 footer has 2 cylinders. With my 1 cylinder if I load it up to much forward, it wont dump.
I figure with the 2 cylinders, there's no way it wouldn't dump even if you overloaded it.

JB

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #19  
I bought one of those portable jump starters for a car/truck and put it in my tool box on the truck.

For $75, I am confident that I will not ever get to the dump and not be able to raise the bed, and it has a lot of other potential uses also. Have already rescued a guest who left his lights on all night.

Now if I ever need it, crawling under the trailer to attach the battery cables at the dump is not going to be a lot of fun, but at least I will get the load dumped.

Just have to remember to charge it once a month or so.

/ Dump Trailer: Single lift vs Double lift #20  
I bought one of those portable jump starters for a car/truck and put it in my tool box on the truck.

Now if I ever need it, crawling under the trailer to attach the battery cables at the dump is not going to be a lot of fun, but at least I will get the load dumped.

Just have to remember to charge it once a month or so.

Yup I have one too, I'm on my second one. Comes in handy with old garden tractors etc.

I bring mine to the dump also, but where is your battery? Mine is in a box right on top of the frame along with the pump. there's room in there for other odds and ends. Is yours only easily accessible when the bed is up for security purposes?

JB.