Dump trailer to haul tractor?

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #21  
Methinks that Hawk used SLIGHTLY heavier cables so as to eliminate the battery on the trailer as it wasn't charging fast enough through the 7 pin plug.

Aaron Z

Yea if he eliminated the battery you would need something to handle 150-200 amps. But it is so nice just to be able to plug in a standard plug to charge the battery and have lights. I hauled about 100 yards of sand with mine back to back loads about 10 miles and it kept up the charge with only a 20 amp resettable breaker. It never popped the breaker either, I was curious because of it being a new to me trailer and every time I tested the battery it was at 13.6or better. CJ

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #22  
Yes, the charge coming out of the 7-pin plug just wasn't cutting it. Here is the kit the I used. It is Warn Part Number 32966 and 32963. I ordered it through NAPA, part number BK 3354624, BK7453148. One is a 20' cable. The other is 24' cable. It comes with all the necessary parts. As soon as I get my trailer back from my cousin's place tomorrow, I will post some pics of my installation. I also use it to power the winches on my other trailer.

Warn Industries - Rear Quick Connector Kit

Hawk

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #23  
I'm no expert here, but I didn't see a mention of the tow vehicle from the OP

I just went through the same decision process - already have an 18' 7K trailer to haul my BX and wanted a dump trailer. My 03 RAM 2500 CTD is rated at 10-11K lbs on the bumper (sad I know) - so figured I should stick with a 10K trailer to stay in the safe range and to avoid any CDL/DOT issues (not that I fully understand all of it). I also wanted to maximize the payload I could haul. With a 6x10 10K trailer I could get a full 4 ton of payload. With the larger trailers, the empty weight cut in quite a bit to what I could haul

Not sure this applies to the OP's situation, but thought I would share my perspective - which, of course, could be completely flawed !

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #24  
Thanks for the input guys and for the video Hawk. Dump trailer it is! I'll make sure to get some of those D rings for ties down points.

GL,
Here are some pictures of the D-rings I had the dealer install.

D-Rings.jpgTrailer Bed 001.jpg

You can't see the ones at the top all that well, but there are two at the top, two in the in middle, and two at the rear of the trailer.

Hawk

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor?
Hawk,

Thanks for the pics! Thats a nice size dump you have there. I'll definitely have the dealer install some of those rings.

I ordered my JD 3320 yesterday! Dealer said it should be here in about 3 weeks. So I figure I have three weeks to get the trailer. I went to the dealer today and measured a rental 3320 from loader to 3 point hitch and came up with about 13.5 feet. I would like to be able to haul with ballast box so I'll be too short.

What do you guys think? Should I go with the 14 footer and hang the bucket over the front or shell out another 1k (roughly) for a 16 footer? I talked to my JD dealer who said go with the 14 footer. He said a 16 is a huge dump trailer and probably overkill.

NuBota said:
I'm no expert here, but I didn't see a mention of the tow vehicle from the OP

I just went through the same decision process - already have an 18' 7K trailer to haul my BX and wanted a dump trailer. My 03 RAM 2500 CTD is rated at 10-11K lbs on the bumper (sad I know) - so figured I should stick with a 10K trailer to stay in the safe range and to avoid any CDL/DOT issues (not that I fully understand all of it). I also wanted to maximize the payload I could haul. With a 6x10 10K trailer I could get a full 4 ton of payload. With the larger trailers, the empty weight cut in quite a bit to what I could haul

Not sure this applies to the OP's situation, but thought I would share my perspective - which, of course, could be completely flawed !

My tow vehicle is a Ford F-150, 5.4L, Supercrew. I went through my manual and I believe I can tow about 10000lbs. The 14 and 16 foot dump trailer gvwr is 14000. The 14 footer weighs in at 3780 while the 16 footer weighs in at 4000, according to the Becks Trailer website located in St. Johns, MI. If my math is right (which isn't that often), the tractor (including loader and ballast) will weigh in around 5500 lbs, plus the trailer weight of 4000 lbs, will put me right there at 9500 lbs. Sound right?

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #27  
My tow vehicle is a Ford F-150, 5.4L, Supercrew. I went through my manual and I believe I can tow about 10000lbs. The 14 and 16 foot dump trailer gvwr is 14000. The 14 footer weighs in at 3780 while the 16 footer weighs in at 4000, according to the Becks Trailer website located in St. Johns, MI. If my math is right (which isn't that often), the tractor (including loader and ballast) will weigh in around 5500 lbs, plus the trailer weight of 4000 lbs, will put me right there at 9500 lbs. Sound right?

GL, oh yea - you're in great shape in that case - basically same boat as me - in my case I fretted over loosing the extra ton of "safe" payload when hauling material. So I weighed the extra trips with two trailers against the ability to move a larger payload. Luckily, my property is only 5 miles from my house, so that was a factor. I need the dump mainly for hauling gravel for the 1/4 mile of driveway and moving dirt around the property (pond project). And, of course, projects around the house where the tractor is located. The shorter length is also a benefit for the tight areas I need to manuver. Also, my driveway is so narrow I went with a deckover. My landscape trailer is wider and I had serious pucker symptoms the first time I brought the utility trailer (with tractor) to the property - tight turns cut through hills - the trailer tires would ride up the embankment on the turns - seeing my tractor at a 30 degree angle in the rear view caused a little consternation!

Anyway - no right or wrong answer - just trying to think out (overthink actually) all of the scenarios.

BTW - congratulations on both of your planned purchases - very nice setup!

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #28  
10,000# sounds a little high for a 5.4L F-150

I am a part time trailer dealer and have access to tons of towing info. If you give me your year of truck, cab type, bed length, gear ratio, 4x4 or not, and we know the motor is a 5.4L I can look it up for you.

Chris

Diamondpilot said:
10,000# sounds a little high for a 5.4L F-150

I am a part time trailer dealer and have access to tons of towing info. If you give me your year of truck, cab type, bed length, gear ratio, 4x4 or not, and we know the motor is a 5.4L I can look it up for you.

Chris

Chris,

That would be great. Its a 2010 F-150 4x4 Supercrew, Lariat edition 157" WB style side. 5.4 FFV V8 engine, electronic 6 SPD AUTO, trailer tow package and trailer sway control, 3.55 ratio limited slip axle, 7350# GVWR package. Thanks!

/ Dump trailer to haul tractor? #30  
View attachment Ford F150 guide.pdf

According to the 2010 Ford towing guide I have, a Supercrew with a 3.55 axle has a 9500 lb towing capacity. With a 3.73 it goes to 11,100. So you are going to be right at the max, if the numbers are accurate.