Dump trailer

/ Dump trailer #11  
That side dump trailer looks neat...but talk about tongue weight! Can't see a few tons of material in that all the way at the front..better get the gooseneck if the plan is to haul rock or dirt....the conventional trailer version looks like it would only be good for hauling feathers otherwise.:eek:
Their site does state that the trailer can be fitted with a goose-neck in lieu of the bumper style hitch if requested. The "payload" of the dump is 3,000-5,000lbs depending on the GVWR of the trailer (13k-15k) and looking at the pintle hitch it comes with, this is certainly not a trailer you put on a 1/2-ton truck. Dually or nothing for a trailer like this.

/ Dump trailer #12  
What about a roll-off dump trailer, with a dump box and a flatbed ?
You see it a lot in Holland, they load the flatbed while rolled off, drive the equipment on the deck, strap it down and then winch the flatbed on the truck or trailer. The next day they pull a dump box on the truck or trailer and use it as a dump trailer, while the flatrack with equipment stays on the jobsite.

I have been sketching and calculating some on a 5th wheel with a tool cabinet on the gooseneck and a roll-off dump bed in the back, using a Warn 12V winch to pull the dumpster or flatbed on, and a hydraulic power pack to tip the roll-off frame. I never did anything with the idea because it was at the time i changed jobs, away from the trailer business.

Last edited:
   / Dump trailer #13  
My big concern would be torsional flex of the trailer when dumping from the side. Most off the shelf trailer will not have the strength to tolerate the twisting motion of a side dump without some major stiffening. All of this will take away from the GVWR.

Another issue with a side dump is many times if trying to place material in tight quarters a side dump versus a rear dump would me a major hindrance.

Chris

/ Dump trailer #14  
You can probably get a dump trailer for not much more. I'd get 2 trailers or go with the other options.

That's what we ended up doing. dump trailer and a flat suitable for hauling cars and tractors. Don't use the car hauler as much as the dump, but I cannot put my 855 with multiple implements in the dump trailer.

/ Dump trailer #15  
That side dump looks neat but in reality it's not very practical. In fact I'd say it almost useless for most applications that dump trailers normally get used for. I also vote for 2 trailers. My 14', 14K dump trailer cost over $7K but you can find them much cheaper. For the same $8900 that side dump would cost you could get a decent dump, and a flatbed. If your wife balks, just have her log in here. We'll convince her its a good idea.
Pops