dump trailer

/ dump trailer #11  
I'm in MN & the rules changed 1/04. A trailer over 10,000 requires a safety inspection sticker (annually if you cross state lines) & an operators medical certificate. Same medical as a Trucker over 26,000 GVW. A Class B or A (Commercial Trucker) license if for hire. Now for the truck itself: if over 10,000 see trailer rules above, plus a USDOT # posted on the doors. You may also need time sheets & log books if for hire. An hourly employee punch timecard may suffice (commercial). Note the 1 tons under 10,000 GVW with trailer under 10,000 - thats to stay out of the new rules. A medical costs $70 the fine if towing over 10,000 starts at $700 + if locked out you have to get someone qualified to move the trailer. Interesting penalty ratio!

In summary stay away from trailers over 10,000 AND GCVW over 26,000!

Each safety inspection costs $50 yr. + medical (2 yr.) + CDL if commercial. I have a 12,000 GVW dump (25,500 GCVW) + 12,000 machinery trailer for personal use only, so I do not need a CDL - but have every other expense.

MN is probably as draconian as NY

More info at:
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/patrol/comveh/index.htm

Happy trailering

/ dump trailer #12  
Out of curiosity, can you "down license" the trailer to 10,000 lbs (if your actual load will permit) to avoid the additional requirements?

Rip

/ dump trailer #13  
almost inpossible to do ( down license as you call it) when you bring the MSO in for it's first registration, it is right on that, whatever the weight is. They are not going to allow you to register 10,K when it was built for 12K and the MSO states so..

/ dump trailer #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A trailer over 10,000 requires a safety inspection sticker (annually )</font>

In Texas, the annual inspection is required for a trailer over 4,500 pounds, and has been for over 30 years that I know of. No medical or any of that other stuff, though. However, I doubt that many police officers know it, and when I got trailers inspected, the inspection stations frequently had no idea how or what to inspect.

From the Texas Department of Public Safety web site:

Items of Inspection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05.06 Inspect All Trailers, Semitrailers, Pole Trailers, or Mobile Homes Exceeding 4,500 Pounds Actual Gross Weight or Registered Weight For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection) Refer to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, if required.

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility on towing vehicle

1. Brakes (system) (If gross weight exceeds 4,500 pounds)
2. Tires
3. Wheel Assembly
4. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle) Pole trailers exempt.
5. Tail Lamps (2)
6. Stop Lamps (2)
7. License Plate Lamp (1)
8. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
9. Turn Signal Lamps
10. Clearance Lamps
11. Side Marker Lamps
12. Side Reflectors
13. Side Marker Lamps and Reflectors (30 feet or more in overall length)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular trailer being inspected.)
14. Serial or Vehicle Identification Number

/ dump trailer #15  
In MN you can buy any weight license up to GVW. However the State Patrol looks at the GVW and the GCVW when inspecting and administering justice. If you are over your license weight but under GVW you are still fined for being over license weight. I in fact did buy a 10,000 license 1st year with trailer to avoid the truck weight scales. Then bought a dump so had to weigh anyway, then the state lowered the weigh scale weights to 8-10,000 lb. Iowa is begins weighing at 4 tons. MN also has a fleet of mobile weigh scales so avoiding the bricks & mortar installations is no guarantee.

/ dump trailer #16  
My question was to determine if one could legally stay under the regs for your state by only licensing it for 10K so long as your actual gross was under 10,000 lbs

Many folks may have a heavier duty trailer than they actually need for the loads they haul. I have heard of 11,000 GVW trucks being legally licensed only for 10,000 to avoid similar issues, but of course if one actually does run them over 10K then fines could apply.

Each state is probably different in this regard, so it may pay to check (with more than one person/office) as "the answer you get dependes on the question you ask" syndrome can turn up seemingly contradictory answers.

Good luck,

Rip

/ dump trailer #17  
When I bought an equipment trailer last year, I had to produce the MSO (mfg statement of origin) to the registry. Right on it is 18 ft at 12,000 lbs. Apply for a title and was told bring the trailer in for DOT inspection because it went over 10K lbs. Went through all that, no big deal as they asked for my license and what is being hauled (primary).. Of course I've had a class one, now called CDL A since 67 and no questions asked. In CT, you won't get away with asking to register at say 8000 when it MSO'd at 12,000.. This state wants their money even if the difference is two dollars... ANd in my case, the difference was about 2.50

/ dump trailer
Thanks for all the info guys, its been awhile since I've been able to check this post.
As for licensing, etc. I don't think NYS has caught up with trailers. The insurance for the dump truck was astonomical, but a trailer is covered by your vehicle insurance. You need a state inspection, but thats on all trailers and not complied with very much here (i.e. boat, jet ski trailers). I can't see them cracking down on dump trailers and not the little old guys driving RVs or hauling camping trailers bigger and heavier than a tractor trailer (big vacation area here).
I've recently looked at the bri mar low profile 14' with the "wide package" or whatever its called. Three function gate, real nice set up, but expensive!