Dump Truck Accident, darn shame....

/ Dump Truck Accident, darn shame.... #2  
That is sad.

I don't think it would be wise to have 15 tons of material in bed either, while woking on it. I wonder what it would take to prop that up safely? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Dump Truck Accident, darn shame.... #3  
We had a gentleman that got ran over by his truck yesterday in a nearby county (Pickens County). He had some sort of brake problem and crawled under the truck to check it out. It was a large dump truck as well. His Name was James McJunkin. He was a friend of mine and he knew better than to do this... for some reason he must have thought the truck was secure. The authorities are investigating the accident so if anything different comes up I will tell you.

I am a CDL Driver and I know the dangers and precautions a person should take. Some times people in a hurry take chances and get caught up with with fatal results. It is not wise to take chances around any equipment... especially Heavy Equipment.

/ Dump Truck Accident, darn shame.... #4  
Thats sad being Im only 26. Im in the same line of work Dump trucks and rolloff trucks. I always block the beds before going under them. The man dad started out with in the dirt moving business was killed in the same way under a dump truck in the 70's. His son was in his early 20's and swung a dragline bucket over to the spill guard and picked up the bed it slipped off and fell on him again. The second time he was suceesful in retrieving his father but it was too late. I was working on a dump bed one time welding under the bed and had it raised while my loader was being serviced. The end of the cylinder blew out and the bed prop held it up for my escape. I had a fellow worker pull the wrong hose on a scraper I was welding under once to saftey blocks again came in handy. What probably happened was the youg man had the truck go down and didnt have or take time to put up the safety stops. Jim on the man that got run over by his truck he was probably setting the brakes up or backing one off which requires the park/spring brake to be off. And didnt have the wheels chocked then when her backed the slack adjuster off she rolled off. Ive had that hapen before where the wheel chock scooted. My mentor in truck and equipment mechanics told me theres a million ways to get killed doing the job right with the right precautions and it doubles with every chance you take.

/ Dump Truck Accident, darn shame....
What made it worse was that his dad watched the whole thing!
Not only did the victim do something very unsafe, his old man watched him.
Bad deal I tell ya.

-dave

/ Dump Truck Accident, darn shame.... #6  
You know his Dad is having a hard time dealing with this. I know I would if I was in his shoes. I say we all should send some prayers up for this Dad because he will need the stength to deal with this tragedy.

Jim

/ Dump Truck Accident, darn shame.... #7  
I retired as an emergency medical technician after 16 years of services for our small town in here in NH. One call clearly stands in mind - we called for a young man who had a truck roll back on him (Pickup). When we arrived on scene we found 35 year old male under the truck. We later llearned that the young guy was a seasoned machanic. Obviously, he must have been in a hurry that morning. He jacked up the front of the truck with the older style bumper jacks - the truck was on a slight incline - he removed the front wheels and repaired the brakes. He did not bother to chock the back wheel - After the brakes were repaired he climbed uder the truck and remove the driveshaft to fix the Ujoints, he essentionly put the truck in neutral at this point - truck roll back and fell on him, pinning him under it. This was the first time that I had someone die in front of me - it's a very unnerving thing to experience. The saddest thing is that his wife of 4 years and 2 small children witnessed the entire ordeal. He also was a year behind me in high school and I knew him well. He was one of the most honest and hardest working individuals I knew.

/ Dump Truck Accident, darn shame.... #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I know that I've heard it repeated many time to never trust hydralics.... )</font>

As a father, myself who recently lost a son; I recall always taking my time when the boys were growing up to pay attention and use common sense. When we'd go the ag expos and see them head all around those tractors that had their loaders all the way up in the air.
"Son, do you see that cylinder holding that loader up? I'd tell them. This tractor is unsafe to be around. Over there, do you see that loader? It's loader is up also, but do you see that red bar on the cylinder? That is a boom lock. This tractor is a safer tractor to look at up close." I also showed the boys to watch for stuff like that. Machines can kill or maim you, especially dangerous with the other kids up in the cab pulling and moving levers and playing in the cab," I'd tell them.
Both of my boys grew up around equipment and tools, and never as much as cut themselves due to their Dad's insisting on being careful and using safe practices, watching out for unsafe things, take your time working on things, etc.
Me, I've always nicked, cut and scratched myself. So they did not take after me.

On August 9, 2004, my oldest son was electrocuted when a survey pole he had got too close to a low power line.

I know first hand how the parent of that young man must feel. But, with prayer and faith, he will eventually get through his pain.
my 0.02