Duramax vs. Powerstroke

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #11  
Currently own a '08 Duramax and have owned since new. It went to the dealer twice under warranty for exhaust smell in the cab during regeneration (squirts raw diesel into the exhaust) to clean the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The second dealership replaced the turbo downpipe, and this improved the smell. The other issues fixed under warranty were the pockets on the seat backs came loose, had an issue with the tailgate not latching. Currently one of the cigarette outlets doesn't work but it has overall been good truck. Mileage wise it gets 15/19 in normal weather and drops to 12 towing and in single digit temperatures.

The 2007.5 - 2009 will be pretty much the same, they were pretty much new sheetmetal/interior on the 2006-7LBZ Duramax trucks except for the addition of the previously mentioned DPF. I think the sheetmetal is thinner than on my 2005 1/2 ton work truck at least it seems to dent easier.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #12  
I've never owned either one, I have a 2002 7.3, but I have put in numerous EGR delete kits and head gaskets on ford 6.0's. Don't get me wrong here, I am a Ford fan but I would recommend staying away from the 6.0. I would either find a good used duramax or search for an older 7.3.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke
Thanks every one for the info and keep it comin'. What about the 6.4 Powerstroke?

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #14  
Thanks every one for the info and keep it comin'. What about the 6.4 Powerstroke?

Thirsty in stock form. Delete the EGR and DPF and its a good package. The Torque Shift tranny is up to the task of lots of extra power. Its standard since 2003.5

I have never owned one but a few of my boating buddies have them. 12 mpg around town and maybe 17 on the highway in stock trim. Do the mods and they will do what the 6.0 will do.

Chris

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #15  
here's my 2 cents.

I have an 04 f250 6.0psd.. she's getting ready to hit 130k.

no chipping.. though I did have a programmer on her the first year and actually ran her at the eco-trailer safe mode on a superchips tune. had a ecu replace under warranty and that put me back to stock.. lost the reciept for the tuner so couldn't get it vinunlocked.

engine problems? it leaked a lil oil at the oem filter... fix was to go to napa oil filters.

it's had normal parts issues. brakes.. suspension.. etc. I did just put an alt on it.. died out of the blue.

other than that.. it has some good get up and go.

we have 2 06 ? duramax at work. I'm not aware of any problems with them.. same deal.. normal stuff.. tires.. oil changes.. etc...

i also have a couple 7.3psds. love em. mine are drw.

if I was looking again. and 2004+ was my range.. I'd bump that to 2003 and get a 7.3psd

not as much get up and go as the 6.0.. but way better history... decent feeling engine..

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #16  
You'll be paying premium for a diesel in that range. I had an 05 2500 Silverado, didnt like the mileage but could tow anything I needed to safely. Sold it for a mere 3k less that what i had paid for it 5 years later, I was shocked to say the least. Apparently they are in demand with all the emissions jacking up the price tags.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #17  
I have a 2006 CC Silverado Duramax LBZ - I average 16mpg pulling a load or empty, the six speed tranny is awesome. This was my first Diesel and it does everything I need with a better ride than my SUVs. Personally the Ford PS sounds like it is falling apart even while idling.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #18  
I don't know if you are talking 2- or 4-wheel drive, but I made up my mind that I would never again buy a 2-wheel drive diesel in snow country. I ran a 7.3l Ford 2-wheel drive for a few years and that big diesel in the front made the rear end completely useless in the snow even with good snow tires. I had to haul a lot of weight around all winter long just to be able to back out of my almost level driveway. I ran the truck until a cracked head put it out of commission. I now own an 06 Duramax LBZ 4-wheel drive which I bought used a while ago. It has the usual leaking tranny lines in cold weather, but I've never owned anything that didn't leak a little, so I'm not concerned. I also changed a bad glo-plug (pretty easy). I haul a lot of stuff around on a bumper-pull trailer and I like the weight of a diesel truck. It eliminates that "tail wagging the dog" feel that you get with a lighter truck and trailer. I haven't owned a newer Dodge or Ford, but that's only because the opportunity never arose.

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #19  
was yours srw or drw?

/ Duramax vs. Powerstroke #20  
We had 2 F-250's and 1 F-450 all 6.0's for work trucks, they were 04' or 05' yrs if I remember correctly, driven by multiple people. 1 of the f-250's had alot of problems: injectors, computor, head gaskets all before 100k. The other F-250 ran rough at start up, once warmed up it ran good, that one went 160 k before it was totaled. The f-450 was an oilfield specific truck,never pulled a trailer in its life. It does do alot of idling, and is on its 3rd 6.0. Replacements are new Ford engines and about 12-15k for complete install. I had the trucks serviced at 4 -5k miles and was pretty religious on that. Not a fan of the 6.0, but the F-250's did get good fuel mileage and pulled good on 7-1ok loads. No experience with the Duramax. I had very good luck with 5.9 Dodges for hotshot trucks, but I know you did not ask about the Dodge.