DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane

/ DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #2  
I vote propane. Sure it's slightly less power output, but the engine will start each and every time. Gas gives a tad more power, but things get gunked up and requires much more maintenance on the engine.

So, PROPANE is the ideal fuel to use. Plus the fuel lasts way longer in storage when you need it.

Gas needs additives, yet it still can't store long even well with those additives.

/ DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #3  
So, PROPANE is the ideal fuel to use. Plus the fuel lasts way longer in storage when you need it.
Same thoughts here. I had a Coleman 5500W gas generator that I changed the fuel in every year, I've only used twice in the last 5-6 years but would start it faithfully every year and swap out the fuel for fresh.
I gave that to my SIN and bought a gas/propane/natural gas generator and use it on propane only. If I ever get in a situation where the power's out for days and I run out of propane, I can still run it on gas but for now, strictly propane for the reasons stated...........Mike

/ DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #4  
In Feb 2017 I bought the 10000 version on a flash sale for like $625. It ran fine on propane and gas. I got 4 hours on it doing a no load break in run and for some reason life happened and I put it under the workbench and that's where it is today. When I can get it cleaned out enough where I can get it out I need to charge the battery on it. I have never worked it but I think it is a satisfactory generator.

/ DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #5  
I vote propane. Sure it's slightly less power output, but the engine will start each and every time. Gas gives a tad more power, but things get gunked up and requires much more maintenance on the engine.

Gas needs additives, yet it still can't store long even well with those additives.
I have a "honda powered" generator. Runs on gas only. I have had it for 7 years. Has 50 hours on it. Knock on wood never had a single problem with it other than a dead battery when I forgot to plug the battery minder back in after using it.

I fire it up every quarter if we do not have to use it during that time. It has more hours on it providing remote power around the farm than it does powering the house during an outage.

I need to keep gas on hand to run the mower anyway so having to store yet another fuel source is not something I care to do.

A tri-fuel that would let me plumb into my natural gas supply would be my choice. The generator we have was bought when we lived less rural and at that house there was no cost effective way to plumb it into the natural gas supply.

So propane is not the ideal fuel for everyone. I am glad it works well for you.

/ DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #6  

If you have a RV or camper, otherwise most people prefer gas...

/ DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #7  
If you have a RV or camper, otherwise most people prefer gas...
Since my region has sand and rock, most people choose propane for their generators because they already have the huge propane tank in their yards. It's nicely stored already, no cans to have sitting around. The generator can run a few months on end without refilling because of the direct propane line and valve.

1654017182742.png

Last edited:
   / DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #8  
The generator can run a few months on end without refilling because of the direct propane line and valve.
Not running with much of a load or running full time it won't, at least not on that tank if it's a 500-gallon tank.

Even a 500-gallon tank only has 400 gallons in it, when full.

SR

/ DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #9  
Not running with much of a load or running full time it won't, at least not on that tank if it's a 500-gallon tank.

Even a 500-gallon tank only has 400 gallons in it, when full.

SR
Yep. According to Duromax at 50% load this consumes 1.35 gal of propane per hour. Assuming you could use all 400 gal in the tank that is 296 hours or just over 12 days of continuous use. Of course lots of scenarios where continuous use is necessary and lots where it is not.

/ DuroMax XP13000EH Dual Fuel Portable Generator 13000 Watt Gas or Propane #10  
Running back up generators is getting to be for the wealthy.