Dust seals on RC100

/ Dust seals on RC100 #1  

QwikDraw

Platinum Member
Tractor
Timber King TK711
What is the best way to remove the bearing seals on the idle wheels and rollers on an ASV? I had the front idler bearings go and when I removed the track all the rollers and rear idler bearing have play in them. I bought the whole assembly (axle/hub) and replaced it. I also purchased a set of bearing for one roller to see how it was to change them and I had problems removing the dust seal. I finally used a BIGGER hammer and just beat the axle through but I know that's not right since you have to break the clip that holds the bearings in for this to work...

So what's the right way?

/ Dust seals on RC100 #2  
What is the best way to remove the bearing seals on the idle wheels and rollers on an ASV? I had the front idler bearings go and when I removed the track all the rollers and rear idler bearing have play in them. I bought the whole assembly (axle/hub) and replaced it. I also purchased a set of bearing for one roller to see how it was to change them and I had problems removing the dust seal. I finally used a BIGGER hammer and just beat the axle through but I know that's not right since you have to break the clip that holds the bearings in for this to work...

So what's the right way?

Just call ASV. I just call them whenever I have a question on my RC50. They are still one of the few companies that you can call direct and they've always been great to deal with. 1-800-346-5954 is the number. Just ask for the service department. You can also get this information right off of their website under the "Contact Us" section. Good luck.

/ Dust seals on RC100 #3  
I just did the seals on my 287B (same undercarriage) the bearings were fine, the seals were leaking. I removed the whole assembly , removed the 2 outside wheels, clamped it in a vise, and drove a huge screwdriver into very outside edge of the face of the seal and started prying, then did the same 1/2 way around, then used two screwdrivers at the same time to pry across from one another. It takes forever and be ready to snap a few screwdrivers (Craftsmans the way to go) the seals are about an inch thick and are stubborn as ****. I'm sure they some kind of special slide hammer tool that srrews into the seal to remove it, but since my bearings were all good I didn't want any shrapnel to get into em.

/ Dust seals on RC100
My seals were leaking too. The whole assembly was full of mud on the one hub that I did change, I was surprised because the seal didn't look bad from the outside. I wish each roller/idler had a grease fitting..I don't understand why they don't since the seals are not great and will eventually let in dirt/mud.