Dusting the engine?

/ Dusting the engine? #1  

rja

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3000dt Kubota
I read some posts that talked about "dusting" as a cause of engine failure. I find it hard to believe that these diesel engines are so delicate that a little dust introduced into the system when the air cleaner is changed will cause them to die. I am not saying that we should be slobs when the air cleaner is serviced but it sounded like people were advocating that hospital like precautions should be taken around the air intake systems. What are the board's thoughts?

/ Dusting the engine? #2  
rja, no way am I going to be able to match hospital conditions, and I really don't expect to ever have any problems, but I DO try to be as careful and keep everything as clean as possible where the air intake is concerned. It does seem to me that some of the things I've read are a little overstated about the importance of keeping every speck of dust out, but of course, I do believe that cleanliness and lubrication will determine the life span of any engine. I guess you could say my overall attitude is that common sense will go a long ways./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Dusting the engine? #3  
rja,
Showing caution is great but being over cautious one might as well not consider buying a tractor,for tractor was design to work and not to be a show piece.

Just keep up with the service also eye out for things that need attendion, plus keep the tractor clean and shouldn't have much of a problem.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif