Dusty hay why??

/ Dusty hay why?? #1  

geezer32095

Tractor
Ford 1510
I have bought round bales of hay for my horses from several sources this year. From 2 of them the hay was quite dusty, now I have found one with "clean" hay. How does the dust get in some hay but not in others. One of the sellers is a local farmer & in recent years his hay was good & clean but this year it is quite dusty. :confused:

OK just saw the other posts on dust. Some just complaining about it when they cut but one about dusty bales. I guess somehow my local guy either changed his settings on the mower or it was too dry when he baled it. However it has been an extreamly wet season this year & he was having trouble finding enough good days in a row to get in the fields.. his hay is Tifton 85 could it be waxy?? The clean hay I just got is coastal bahia is it less/non waxy??

Last edited:
   / Dusty hay why?? #2  
More than likely, not fully cured when baled. It will usually smell musty if it wasn't. Rain may have been coming, or humidity high and didn't get fully cured. Won't hurt cows, but not good for horses.

/ Dusty hay why??
More than likely, not fully cured when baled. It will usually smell musty if it wasn't. Rain may have been coming, or humidity high and didn't get fully cured. Won't hurt cows, but not good for horses.

Could be DJ didn't smell too bad tho. (I have been around horses since the 60s) I am very careful about mold. I had another thought that the local land here is actually some topsoil, they mostly grow potatoes here, where the "clean" hay came from I believe it is very sandy. Most of fla. is a sand pile left here by a glacier a few years back. :)

/ Dusty hay why?? #4  
Is it dust, wax residue, or dirt ? Could be from decomposing hay where it was stored, mold from not being dry enough, dirt from rake or baler teeth set too low, or the wax coating on stems flaking off. [Conditioner setting or lack of conditioning for legumes/alfalfa while mowing affects this case].

You ought to be able to get it tested by your local County Extension. One of my customers stored hay bales on a dirt floored shed until she saw all the dirt in the bales. When stacking them at delivery, she tossed them on the ground, then stacked them. Now they are placed on a plastic tarp and they have been fine.

/ Dusty hay why??
OK thanks guys I bought enough of the clean hay to finish this winter & have enough pasture for the summer that I don't need hay. Next time I can get the dust tested to see what it is. I do store it on heavy plastic or moisture from the earth will mold it.. The local farmer doesn't store it 4 long if at all. But he does have a steel building with concrete floor and puts rubber mats over that. It leaves the field the same day it is rolled. they stack it on end about 6 or 8 rolls high in a building that is near an acre in size. He did tell me it wasn't too good this year & all was "cow hay" thats Y I went to the second dealer but his wasn't great either. I will stick with my new supplier now. I was just wondering about how it gets dusty etc..

/ Dusty hay why?? #6  
If it's dust it could the type rake they're using or they're running the baler pickup to low. A wheel rake runs on the ground and will pick up more dirt than a correctly adjusted rotary or Rolabar rake.

/ Dusty hay why?? #8  
99.999999% likely its dusty from mold growth from excess moisture. It takes a massive amount of mistakes setting up rake and baler to pickup a noticeable amount of dust from the ground such that its everywhere in a bale. You could tell in hay test results or in teeth wear but not likely by just opening a bale.

The last couple of years in our area it has been terrible trying to put up quality hay that is dust free. I have had to take back a lot of hay (1-5%) from my horse folks which for me is terrible. I try to aim for 1 bale in 1000 or less being dusty and getting to a buyer. We feed anything dusty here at our farm to sheep.

I have heard of people getting loads with 100% of the hay dusty locally as well this past year.

/ Dusty hay why?? #9  
99.999999% likely its dusty from mold growth from excess moisture. It takes a massive amount of mistakes setting up rake and baler to pickup a noticeable amount of dust from the ground such that its everywhere in a bale. You could tell in hay test results or in teeth wear but not likely by just opening a bale.

The last couple of years in our area it has been terrible trying to put up quality hay that is dust free. I have had to take back a lot of hay (1-5%) from my horse folks which for me is terrible. I try to aim for 1 bale in 1000 or less being dusty and getting to a buyer. We feed anything dusty here at our farm to sheep.

I have heard of people getting loads with 100% of the hay dusty locally as well this past year.

Sounds just like what the OP has happening.:thumbsup:

Some folks may sprinkle a little water on the hay to keep the particulates down.

/ Dusty hay why?? #10  
I'll get some dusty spots in mine occasionally, and it's usually from the outside double windrow, where trees don't let it cure well like in the open field. Since I store mine inside and set up on end, and unwrap it to feed, I can find those spots, and not feed it. It goes in the spreader, or on the compost pile.

I've noticed it worse in the tighter rolled bales.

I've also had my tedder gouge in, in spots and make the dust roll. Depends on who's tedding. If they've got a bigger tractor, with maybe a cab, tedder set too low, and got the tunes cranked up, and not looking behind to see what they're doing, may cause problems too.