E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why?

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #21  
I was thinking more along the lines of maf, knock, o2 sensors and code to protect a modern injected engine. I did have a false alarm on my 90 Corsica. It started back firing around the time I switched to E10. Turned out to be a bad plug wire.
Power output is a different matter. Most of my machines are overpowered for my needs. I would not notice slight changes in output.
Originally our eth was 89 octane, so higher than regular but the same price. Now that it's all eth, you pay for octane rating, just like before. E15 is no different. The E15 that NASCAR uses is 98 octane
Benefits of E fuel, not sure, other than some of the nasty chemicals it displaces and the politics of who controls oil supplies.
DnD, here's a link to biofuel site that details tests and use in aviation. Seems to be in the novelty/proof of concept stage.
The US air force is evaluating ATJ

Last edited:
   / E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #22  
I'm curious to know if these fuels are being experimented to use in airplanes? I wonder if the Big-Wigs who are passing this has enough trust in it to use it in their travel? My guess is No!.... ;) In all the past test and experiments that have been performed using man made formulated/alternative fuels, ....all have had some kind of problem preventing them to continue the use of it,
Look at what happen with the Hydrogen idea, It would of been too costly for the auto manufacture to redesign an engine to hold up from the use of hydrogen gases, And when having to pass the cost onto the consumers would be risky and likely result in lowering the sale's of cars, So instead the auto industries backed off and let the aftermarket industry take over the idea, Conversion kits hit the market designed to run on our existing engines, However! even with efficiency and performance gain it would tremendously reduce the life of an engine, Or either we would have to rebuild the internals of the engine to hold up to it, which would be very costly, So again we ask ourselves, what have we saved?

In airplanes, yes. Its being tested but not yet authorized for use. In both forms, bio-jet and ethanol low lead.

Chris

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #23  
Your correct, I should not have said "just" uses fuel and timing maps, there are some sensors and these machines are getting more and more sophisticated each year but none that I know of have O2 sensors and feedback loops, or sensors that will detect the type of fuel put into the tank.

DEWFPO

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #24  
E-10 is what I mostly use in my truck with no problems. When I changed the spark plugs @ 90k they looked great and could have run much longer.

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #25  
I wouldnt be too concerned with the ethanol power output, its the damage it does to fuel system not equipped to run it, especially stuff that gets seasonal use like a lawn mower etc etc.. I've seen exponentially the amount of issues with this kind of stuff.

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #26  
I have two Flex Fuel vehicles. If they will run on 100 percent I don't think 15 percent will make them stutter.

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #27  
I wouldnt be too concerned with the ethanol power output, its the damage it does to fuel system not equipped to run it, especially stuff that gets seasonal use like a lawn mower etc etc.. I've seen exponentially the amount of issues with this kind of stuff.

I agree completely, not a good thing for small engines or anything that will sit for a time without being used. The only thing E fuels are good for is cleaning parts and in a race vehicle. You can get more power with alcohol but it takes more fuel to do it. Makes absolutly no sence for mileage or practicality. But hey the Government is behind it so no more needs to be said. Would I run it in a airplane, heck no at least not one I would expect to last and be reliable. Fortunatly we have what is called Recreational fuel around here, still good stuff around 90+ octane. But I am sure they will screw that up soon. CJ

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #28  
We're starting to see fuel delivery/ supply issues as of late as well, a lot more so than in the past by a good margin. Ethanol is boosting our profits!

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #29  
Ethanol will drop your gas mileage generally(just ask NASCAR), and it DRAWS moisture,so if you don't plan on running the tank empty or topping it up often,avoid ETHANOL,as it can draw moisture and cause corrosion.
I only run Marathon here in southern Ohio which GENERALLY is ethanol-free. Stihl chainsaw used to void any warranty where ethanol was detected in the fuel. don-ohio :)^^)

/ E-15 Fuel, who is using it? and why? #30  
I heard them report that E-15 was equivalent to a 84 octane, which is to me unspeakable to use in any engine, I remember when having to run at least a 92 octane to get half-way good performance from an engine, but once you started running the 92 we had to keep using it, otherwise running anything lower like the 89 octane would have our engine pinging & knocking, 87 octane would require having to use a octane boost additive, So I for-see if using the E-fuels it will be necessary to use a octane boost additive, or stay driving in the little-old-lady-lane on the Interstates,

Who is "them"? Ethanol has about 100 octane. The oil companies may be starting with crap 84 octane gasoline (which is the real source of everyone's trouble). But after it is mixed it will be 89 or 91 octane.